WitchHazel

Trimming/Sanding Spurs on cockerel

hi All

Our gorgeous cockerel, a lovely natured boy, has in the past accidentally damaged a couple of our hens. One had to be destroyed.

We now make sure all our breeding girls wear saddles. I'd like to take the saddles off over the winter, but I'm not sure whether Roo will stop humping or the frequency just reduces. (or neither, of course). I asked about saddle removing over on the Practical Poultry forum, and it's been suggested that I trim and sand Roo's spurs.

I can see that might work. I was concerned that trimming might cause worse damage or different damage, if he has to grip differently, but it was explained to me that the cockerel grips with histoes around the wins/shoulders, and the damage is usually caused if he slips off.

TBH althought i've seen Roo doinghis job hundreds of times, it's over so quickly that I can't see exactly where he's gripping, or where his spurs are.

Anyway. It sounds like the trimming might be a good idea.

Anyone else done this and have any tips?,

The damage to my hens this year was worse than last year and I'm sure its because my cockeral had longer spurs this year. Mine won't jump on the hens over winter because they won't be in lay (orps) and he's only interested in laying hens so the saddles are off. I think this is important so the birds have a more natural time and also to allow the feathers to grow back naturally (I have this feeling sunlight must be useful)! So, I'm leaving it till the spring to trim his spurs and I'll either use dog nail clippers or I might try the baked potato route which is on youtube and involves sticking the spur in the hot spud and then twisting it off (possibly using pliers). I know this sounds unlikely, but I have read quite a bit about people using it successfully and watched the video, which makes it look very easy.

I've heard aboot the hot potato method but never done it.

We had a bitza bantam cockerel at the farm that had really long spurs and was hurting all the FR girls - we used some guillotine nail clippers that are meant for dogs and worked fine + stopped the damage :D

I've heard aboot the hot potato method but never done it.

We had a bitza bantam cockerel at the farm that had really long spurs and was hurting all the FR girls - we used some guillotine nail clippers that are meant for dogs and worked fine + stopped the damage :D

Thanks for that Lewis. Is it like beak trimming, where you have to be careful not to trim too far? Could you post a link to a pic of the type of nail clippers please?

Our Girls are still laying. Do your cockerels stop treading in the winter irrespective of whether the girls lay? Or do they only stop when the girls stop laying?