Dizzy-Deb

Ice in the water this morning.

It was first hard frost this morning and found ice in the girls water container. Is there anything can put in or do that will help prevent that ? thinking more of when we get into the real thick of winter and its going to freeze more. :?

I think the chooks knew it was going to be a cold night last night because when I went to shut them in, there were both in the nest box, snuggled up. :lol::lol:

Anti freeze :-o

Putting a ping pong ball will most probably just make the water freeze around it.

I find it easier to bring the water container into the house when there's frost forecast, then I take it out in the morning with fresh water when I go out to let them out of the cube

I'm not using a glug but with my other drinkers I've had to break the ice a few mornings now - even the duck paddling pool was completely frozen over.

When I know it is going to be cold I bring the drinkers in. I plan to fill them with slightly warm water in the thick of Winter to hopefully prevent them freezing during the day.

I've found it works for me too.

In the depths of a cold snap, when the water refreezes during the day, I trundle up the garden with a watering can full of hot water, pour it onto the ice in the Glugs, wait a few moments and stir it round with the run pin, and I find that this will keep them going for a few more hours.

I revert to the Glugs in icy weather, for this reason, as I find them much easier to deal with than the 'upturned bucket' types, which freeze into icebergs.