bellekatz

Anyone had any dealings with Hoopers Probate Genealogists?

This is the second time that I know our family have been contacted and it's my half sister they want to talk to. I seem to remember they traced her at my Dads about 9 years ago but he died before they could do anything. Now they have traced her back to me. She is my sister with learning difficulties and lives in an Anchor sheltered housing scheme. I didnt give them any info about her, but from what I gather it is to do with her dad's side of the family. They need her to sign some papers to go ahead and she would have to give them 25% of whatever she is entitled to. It may be very little, but it may not am I am worried it may have an effect on her benefits. She has no savings as such. Has anyone been contacted by these people or even heard of them? They advertise themselves as being on a TV programme called Heir Hunters but I have never seen it. Anyone out there got any clues as to whether they are bonafide or not??

:think::think:

I watch the programme Heir Hunters, but not heard of Hoopers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lifestyle/tv_and_radio/heirhunters_index.shtml is the BBC webpage about the programme, so you might be able to find something there. They usually want you to sing up, so they can make their percentage before someone else comes along and tries to get you to sign up.

Hooper's are often mentioned on Heir Hunters and seem to be a reputable firm. In fact I think they are one of the more long standing firms, and seem to get a lot of solicitor referrals. No experience myself, but there is plenty about them on 'tinterweb.

Heir Hunters is one of my guilty pleasures. :D I sky + it and then watch it if there is nowt better on the box.

Good luck.

I watch heir hunters quite regularly :shh: they seem to be fairly reputable but as with any company if you feel your half sister is a 'vulnerable adult' then it may be worth having another adult contact the company on her behalf. Any company worth their salt will understand that some people need an extra bit of safeguarding. I do know that some people are contacted by these heir hunters and dont sign up with them but prefering to do it themselves or through their family solicitor that way they dont sign over the 25% or feel more comfortable just doing buisness with people they know.

I would do some digging on the company, maybe consult a solicitor you know or speak to the citizens advice bureau to see if they can shed a bit of light on the company. In terms of a windfall affecting her benefits your sister would have to (i think) agree to take the sum of money. She could choose not to I suppose. I hope that has helped xxx

They are a genuine company - they find out cases where someone has died intestate (without leaving a will) and then trace the relatives. Often these are people who would have no idea that they might inherit something, but the sting is that before they will tell you who/how much, you have to sign up to agree to give them 25%.

You could, of course, do some family research and try and find out if there's a long-lost relative who's died recently, but since almost by definition it's someone who had lost touch with the family or maybe never been in contact, it could be hard to do.

As your sister is a vulnerable adult, presumably you or someone else manages her affairs? Would she be able to make a decision about this and sign up, or would that have to be done by you anyway? I certainly wouldn't want to give them her details, in your position, but it's probably correct that whoever normally handles her affairs should be put in touch with them. There's no way of knowing - it might be a small amount, and as you say, it might affect her benefits - on the other hand it could be substantail.

I refused to give them her details saying I would talk to her and they left the paperwork with me. It is a 25% cut, but as she has very little anyway, anything for her would be a huge bonus nomatter how small. I am unsure if I need to get a power of attorney for her... I am her appointee with the DSS and deal with her benefit paperwork but I don't think that applies to anything outside her benefits. I think it is probably her Dad, my aunt doesnt remember much about him as her dad and our Mum were only together a short time during WW2 then they got divorced. She doesnt seem to think he ever got married again. I may think about consulting a solicitor for some advice if necessary before I present all this to her...............

If it is a relatively moderate amount you could end up jumping through more hoops by consulting a solicitor and your sister ending up with very little.

As they've contacted you could you arrange for them to come and discuss it further before deciding whether it is worth proceeding?

If they don't realise your sisters situation, then I can understand them saying they will only talk to her. I am sure they have a different protocol for your particular situation - your sister I am sure is not the first? If/When you feel comfortable talking to them again, and can explain about your sister, I am sure they will want to do everything by the book, and ensure a "responsible adult" is around or whatever is appropriate.

One thought - If they have found you, they may well find your sister themselves sooner rather than later - so probably better you are involved from the outset, rather than finding out later they have been in contact with her directly???

Does your sister have someone to speak for her?

I remember when my Mum was here & had similar problems - I was becoming her spokesperson (can't remember the official term).

Basically if it becomes apparent that a person is either incapable of signing something physically,which my Mum was,or has no comprehension of what it is they are signing,then another person can sign things for them

Unless things have changed it is a long winded,drawn out affair,involving a court hearing,but it may be worth looking into for the future?

They are a reputable company as far as I am aware....check with the Law Society too as I think they use them (and others like them).

I have a Client who uses them extensively, he deals with Wills and Probate matters. He has been in business for 15 years plus and is a stickler for detail and most importantly as he is regulated by numerous organisations, he is very careful about what he does and who he does business with.

In terms of the 25% that is how they make their money.....

Hope this helps in some way.

I know that I have only just joined but I'm not a 'plant' I happened to see the post as I was searching for Hoopers - I am updating my Client's website and wanted info etc. to include them on it...

I just wanted to say that if you can possibly avoid it do not get the Court Of Protection involved. The application fee for Deputyship is about £450 then there is yearly insurance to pay £200 ish and a yearly supervision fee of about £425. You'd have to produce annual accounts for your sister and there are other hoops they ecpect you to jump through. We didn't have any choice to do this for my brother but if you don't have to then please think careully. The process takes about 6 months.

I just wanted to say that if you can possibly avoid it do not get the Court Of Protection involved. The application fee for Deputyship is about £450 then there is yearly insurance to pay £200 ish and a yearly supervision fee of about £425. You'd have to produce annual accounts for your sister and there are other hoops they ecpect you to jump through. We didn't have any choice to do this for my brother but if you don't have to then please think careully. The process takes about 6 months.

we had to go to the court of protection for OH Mom, its a real pain, OH had to do accounts each year & we often struggled to get enough money out of them to pay for MIL care, it did help prevent any family squabbles tho!