Mr Rhode Island Red Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 To my fellow omletteers , There has been several weather warnings on the TV and radio about the tail end of the hurricane that is supposed to bring severe gales and flooding to Ireland. (yes, I'm Irish) I was in Galway yesterday and sandbags lined many of the streets. What I'm wondering is if I should lock up the hens in there house until it passes. As the winds are supposed to reach 100km(about 60 miles an hour) in speed, and there is said to be up to 3cm of rain. All answers welcome! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
meezers Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 How secure is their house ? it's not likely to go airborne is it ? I think it will depend on how exposed their run is, mine don't like the wind, but I'm not sure they'd have the sense to get inside out of it I have heard of chooks being blown away - apparently in the Florida keys there is a population of wild chickens who were domesticated until hurricanes picked them up and deposited them away from home Maybe play it by ear and be preapred to lock them in if the storm is as bad as predicted.Good luck Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
madchickenlady Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 I'd lock them in overnight, and see how things lie in the morning I'm in the UK midlands, and have still battened down the hatches just in case Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MammaT Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 I was planning on seeing how it was in the morning before letting mine free range as they don't seem to have a whole lot of sense when it comes to the weather. We're also expecting high winds (not just from the sprouts with lunch today) but we do get a fair bit of wind being on the coast. Best of luck to you, I'm sure you'll come through shaken but not stirred. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 visions of wind blown chucks being carried thro the air - quiet disturbing. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Valkyrie Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 I thought Shari was with us last week, might just be some odd remnants being tossed around the Atlantic though I suppose. Thomas isn't anywhere near here yet. It shouldn't be hurricane force winds now - it was just a tropical depression on 30th October. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
njoy Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 Following the great storm in 1987, a friend of mine who lives in suffolk, told me that when she asked her local egg supplier why they had stopped delivering eggs, she was told that it was because all the chickens had been blown away!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted November 7, 2010 Share Posted November 7, 2010 if your coop is spacious enough for them all to be comfortable then I would shut them in, apart from anything else the coop with an open pophole or door will be more vulnerable to damage than if its closed Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
txswanie Posted November 8, 2010 Share Posted November 8, 2010 If you don't think your coop will stand up to bad winds I'd put the chicks in the garage. I've been through a couple of hurricanes in Texas and I wouldn't give a coop much of a chance. good luck Colette Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted November 8, 2010 Share Posted November 8, 2010 well I'm not sure if it's hurricane class, but down here in deepest darkest coastal Kent we have very high winds and lashing rain coming in sideways. I have just spent an hour attaching tarpaflex to 2 sides of the WIR... run out of cable ties to do the rest, not to mention that I was so wet my boots were literally filling up with water!! the girls seem to appreciate it though, although its a bit flappy. everything in the run is soaking, even the quail in their hutches right at the back, and I very stupidly chucked some pellets on the floor thinking the girls could peck about for them, and of course they are now all wet too. if it ever dies down I will have to go back out and do some remedial work I think. will the aubiose dry out ok, does anyone know? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MammaT Posted November 8, 2010 Share Posted November 8, 2010 Oh Beach Chick - Isn't it amazing what we'll do for our animals? But I bet in the end you're more flustered than they are! My silly hens are out wandering around the garden as if nothing's happening. I think I'll pop them back in the run soon though as it's covered up and they can dry off. I think they just like being out more than being dry. We've got very strong gusty wind made a bit more unpleasant by the rain but not too bad really. Mr Rhode Island Red how are you getting on? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted November 8, 2010 Share Posted November 8, 2010 I know mammaT, and I've just peered out of the door to see one tarp flapping like I dont know what - nasty suspicion it has ripped through the eyelet, but my coat is so wet I dont dare put it on again... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mr Rhode Island Red Posted November 8, 2010 Author Share Posted November 8, 2010 So called hurricane wasn't as bad as expected, it just bucketed down with rain and there was a bad gale. But I still have eight hens (still a bit tired from last night as they couldn't sleep with all the noise on the roof ) THe only difference it made is that my run is now a total and utter quagmire Thanks for all the replies! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
madchickenlady Posted November 9, 2010 Share Posted November 9, 2010 Glad everyone is accounted for Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted November 10, 2010 Share Posted November 10, 2010 WHY - on the first decent day since Saturday, we have sunshine instead of howling gale and horizontal rain - am I chained to my desk indoors writing all day? cant even get out later as it's parents evening at school and my first appointment is 3.30... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted November 11, 2010 Share Posted November 11, 2010 and this morning the hurricane is back in the south east - it is really really windy here but at least not raining as much (yet) as Monday and Tuesday... just been out to see the girls, opened the pophole just in case they wanted to go out - 4 went and had a look and came straight back in again!! so I've shut it and they can stay in the WIR in the safe and dry. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LauraJ Posted November 11, 2010 Share Posted November 11, 2010 My mad hens ran straight out of their run this morning and have spent the whole day chasing gusts of wind around the garden! They even stayed out through the downpours! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
skye Posted November 11, 2010 Share Posted November 11, 2010 Beach Chick, really blowing now here in Ashford too... this morning they seemed desperate to get out for a jaunt... but I think even the Orps might be blown into the next field in this wind so I've kept mine in too! They're all comfy behind their clear tarp. Little madams skye x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
beach chick Posted November 11, 2010 Share Posted November 11, 2010 Beach Chick, really blowing now here in Ashford too... it's actually dropped here (Dymchurch) now - relative, that is - and the rain has stopped so I've let my lot out again - all 10 rushed straight out as if to say what a mean old bat I was this morning!! chickens eh - no pleasing them! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chicken bark Posted November 12, 2010 Share Posted November 12, 2010 A scary night here last night. Awful winds - thankfully the hen and duck houses stayed in place and they are fine. Unfortunately despite being pegged down the two covered free-standing runs went on a bit of a walk about. The one I have managed to peg back down and put their food in although it does need a new tarpaulin as the wind has ripped it to shreds. The other run got blown about 20 metres into the bushes. It is all smashed up. Could have been much worse. Chickens and ducks seem very happy - just glad it is not raining at the moment. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...