Calamity Jane Posted November 24, 2010 Share Posted November 24, 2010 Christmas is coming!! I made 6 jars of mincemeat yesterday and my pudding is steaming as we speak. The house smells lovely, mmmmmmmmm. I am the only one of my friends who makes her own pudding - how about you? Who else makes their own pudding?cake ? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted November 24, 2010 Share Posted November 24, 2010 Most of my family don't like it. On Christmas day we usually have panettone bread and butter pudding and our own custard except at the mo I'm getting only one egg every second day Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs Webmuppet Posted November 24, 2010 Share Posted November 24, 2010 I make my own puddings ( and enough for my Mother and one of my friends) and my own cake (and friends and family's cakes too). I have homemade mincemeat left over from last year as well...........There are quite a few 'domestic godesses' on this forum who make my efforts seem quite amateur! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sage Posted November 24, 2010 Share Posted November 24, 2010 Made my own mincemeat at the weekend for the first time. DD enjoyded all the mixing. None of us like Xmas pud so I make Bakewell tart or the Hairy Bikers Panna cotta (with rum soaked fruit) for pudding Christmas day Sage. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted November 24, 2010 Share Posted November 24, 2010 Always make my own pudding and cakes, and make them for friends and family as well. Sideboard is always emptied out and used for cale & pudding storage from September to Christmas. For the last few years I've made Delia's Creole Cake for Christmas instead of her iced cake, as I don't really like marzipan and ice-cream. I amend her recipe by soaking my fruit in alcohol for 3 weeks (not 1), and I put an extra load of alcohol in after 2 weeks. I find these cakes are best made 3 months before you want to eat them, and they carry on getting better and better. I made an extra one a few years ago, and we kept eating it until June the following year, just to see whether it would last. Sometimes I make my own mincemeat, but I'm not too fussed about mince pies. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted November 24, 2010 Share Posted November 24, 2010 We make Delia's cake, in the oven as I type, my house smells lovely too, because I cooked the mincemeat this morning too. I usually make Delia's pudding too, the recipe makes two pudding and we have the second one the following year, because it keeps beautifully. I haven't made one this year though because we have a Harrod's one from a hamper that my uncle bought for us last year. To be honest Christmas pudding is a bit much after Christmas dinner, I would be happy with a couple of mince pies. I do find Delia's pudding very moist and tasty but a little greasy. I may try another recipe next year. I made a panatonne last year too, so hopefully I will get time to do that again this year to eat for breakfast over the festive period. I made my own candied peel for all the Christmas baking this year and it has made the mincemeat really citrussy and tasty. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted November 24, 2010 Share Posted November 24, 2010 Puddings and cakes all made at Egluntyne Towers. Never had any succcess with home-made mincemeat and tend to use Waitrose's and give it a doctoring with alcohol for my mince pies. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
craftyhunnypie Posted November 24, 2010 Share Posted November 24, 2010 Cake done courtesy of Delia & Waitrose kit. Mincemeat done yesterday - needs spooning into jars later. Want to do some biscuits, gingerbread men & truffles etc yet. Emma.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted November 24, 2010 Share Posted November 24, 2010 Because the Delia mincemeat is cooked for 3 hours ar 120 degrees it keeps for at least a year and is gorgeous. the suet coats the apple and other fruit as it cools which preserves it, then you add 6 tablespoons of brandy or Christmas juice as my children have just re-named it as they stirred it in after school tonight, which preserves it too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Calamity Jane Posted November 25, 2010 Author Share Posted November 25, 2010 This is the first time I have made mincemeat. I didnt have to cook it, just mix it all up with lots of brandy, down side being it all has to be eaten within two months. I think I'll manage though ! To be honest I didnt really research it too well I just did the first recipe I came across - prob better to cook it first. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ygerna Posted November 25, 2010 Share Posted November 25, 2010 I've made puddings in the past but no one really eats them here so I'd rather put my efforts into something that they will consume. I've got some delia mincemeat from last year which I am going to use for mince pies. Will try it our before I give them to anyone though. Purely for quality purposes you understand.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...