emmaw298

Mink/next door's cat attack! Advice for tall fencing please

Hi there,

I am so upset/annoyed/sad - my elderly hen Gloria, who I had been nursing in the warmth and feeding porridge to for the last few days, was this morning snatched and killed by something. I had only just popped her outside to go and join the others for the day and she was walking down to the free range gated section. I was only inside for 5 minutes and suddenly heard a big commotion - hens and ducks all going mad! Gloria was nowhere to be seen and after some searching and following a trail of blood and feathers, through next door's hedge and into the woods behind, I found her with her head missing but still intact. I feel so angry - she had only been out 5 minutes! We have had this happen once before (about a year ago) and we have CCTV and although I never be quite sure due to the clarity of the image, I had a feeling it was next door's cat. These images look to be the same animal, definitely cat sized. We found a wing and a foot last time but nothing else. The cat has been hanging around our garden a lot again recently, watching the chickens but always runs off when it sees us (or the dog!).

I am quite sure that the cat is the guilty party again, although the removal of the head is also making me think perhaps mink as we live near a stream and are fairly rural. When I just returned to bag up the body, it had been disturbed and some of it insides eaten, the hole where the neck was was more hollowed out, and a bit of damage to the sides had been started. I had seen a bird of prey circling a short while ago, so it could have been that.

Anyway, now I have ranted a bit I am really writing to ask for advice on how to make my fences higher. There is a section of the garden that contains the eglus and they free range in the garden there, but the fences are only 3 ft high. Can anybody please recommend where can I buy chicken wire/tall fencing that is 6ft or more, in order to make a walk in run?

Thanks for your help

For a WIR you'll want weldmesh which is much stronger than chicken wire. I'd google for some cheap places and also look at the eglus/cubes and runs bit of this forum where there are pages and pages and pages (etc) of people's experiences and ideas which I'm sure you'll find helpful :D

If it was a mink you'll need to be extra vigilant as they can get into small spaces. If it was a cat (or a fox) then you could also consider electric fencing as Plum says.

Is next door's cat particularly violent? Ours have never bothered the chooks beyond a bit of staring and stalking, and when our half grown lioness of a serengeti tried to pounce on one, she was roundly seen off with a bit of nose pecking. That's not to say I can't imagine a particularly big and vicious cat taking a chook, more that I'd suspect some other small predator like a young fox or a mink.