KTee

How to get hens to start laying again after cat attack

Seven weeks ago a cat got into the Eglu at night.

We were late in closing the extended run and as I went out to secure it I disturbed a cat which had attacked our 4 hens as they roosted.

Judging by the huge numbers of feathers throughout the 40' run and in the Eglu every hen had been attacked.

Our best layer, two or three 3" long 1/4lb eggs every week, was dead, another hen was injured and the others severely traumatised.

I was able to get a replacement hen from the same hatch as three of our hens and she has settled in very well but she is the only one laying.

The originals all laid the day after the attack but there has been nothing from them since.

All three seem to be healthy and the injured one appears to have recovered physically.

Restricting them to layers pellets only has had no effect.

Can anyone suggest a way to get them back laying please?

They probably aren't laying due to the short days and low light levels and not the cat attack, have they been wormed recently :?: as this could be a reason they are not laying :?: I havent had any eggs in weeks until today when I had two out of nine girls. I wouldn't worry if they have physically healed it is unlikely the reason they are not laying. I am sure other omleteers will be along soon to offer there opinion and advice.

Thanks for the replies.

They were laying regularly before the attack but came to an abrupt halt. Happily as of today they seem to be getting back to normal. Initially 2 of them started laying earlier in the week and now a third has layed.

Yes they are wormed regularly. I have also put them back on the cider vinegar/garlic drink which they 'went-off' last year. Perhaps that has helped. :D

Oh dear.

I have been used to up to 28 eggs a week from 4!

In the Winter months it reduced to no less than 15. Over the last 4 days it has been 11 and I know that one, Olive isn't laying.

I was obviously expecting too much!

Have you tried walking past yours and muttering "....... Chow Mein"? :lol:

EDIT Obviously I spoke too soon! Today, Wed 19th Jan, only one egg. :silenced:

Originally i could not access the forum using my original ID but now that I can I have deleted the post (well I thought that I had!) under my "new" ID.

Well 6 months on and one hen has still not laid, I doubt that she ever will.

The rest seem back to normal except that one has a different problem, she has been losing feathers from her back and now has white and red bald patches. it doesn't seem to bother her fortunately.

I have tried various mite and louse sprays - I can't see any signs of either, but without success.