Karen & co.

classroom info?

My 8 yr old daughter is going to do a 'show and tell' presentation about our battery girls :D and wants to take one in to show her class after her powerpoint show and talk. Her teacher is fine about it but the head will need working on :roll:

I have offered to download the classroom health and safety information from the omlet site, but now can't find it :oops: does anyone know where it is?

Sorry to be so dim :oops:

karen x

I emailed Omlet about it a couple of weeks ago and apparently it's been deleted from their system!

An organisation called CLEAPSS create them but the school needs to be affiliated to it before they will give it to you. I think most LEAs are, so that shouldn't be a problem although I think the school will need to request it rather than a parent.

Your daughter's school LEA should have information about the keeping of animals in schools. I'd give them a ring on Monday, if they give it the ok, the head should too.

My school have decided to wait until next year to get chicks so we can fully integrate them into the curriculum and hatch them as well. Schools are being increasingly encouraged to integrate 'the outside' into education as well as healthy eating and ethics, so bringing the girls in would cover all those topics!

Another possibility would be to ask the teacher to send a letter and consent form home to the parents telling them about the show and tell. This would prevent any parents complaining after the event - goodness knows why they would but it means the Head can cover his back! :roll:

Another possibility would be to ask the teacher to send a letter and consent form home to the parents telling them about the show and tell. This would prevent any parents complaining after the event - goodness knows why they would but it means the Head can cover his back! :roll:

I might be tempted to write one for her! Just outline what you are planning to do and what the children will see. She will appreciate not having to write one herself!

I wouldn't put a consent form on it either, as then the teacher will have to exclude any child who does not return it. :roll: (and there's always a few who forget). I would put something along the lines of "If you do not wish your child to take part in this session, please let (teacher's name) know".

Good luck. I am sure the headteacher is only being careful. It is ridiculous the hoops schools have to jump through nowadays in teh name of legislation. I bet she is just snowed under.