Jodie1975

Anyone else's rabbits won't eat hay?

I never see my rabbits eating the hay and I've tried all sorts even the expensive exel stuff (although my doe's babies did eat this). Should I worry? They geta mixture of excel food, plenty of fruit and veg on a daily basis and they always munch on the straw when I have cleaned them out.

I did have one rabbit that wouldn't eat hay but he did eat plenty of grass. Hay is excellent for keeping their teeth down so if yours continue not to eat it, I would have their teeth checked regularly, if you don't already :)

Straw is good for keeping down teeth I guess but has no nutritious value. I'm wondering if yours do eat it a bit but not enough for you to realise that it's going down?

Back again ... I've had a thought whilst I was on the dirty bunny bottoms post. Our Rosie has suffered from one on a regular basis - we've recently reduced her veg and as a result she's eating more hay = clean bottom. I wondered if you reduced the veg whether yours might eat more hay - let me know how things go.

Wow... this is the story of my life! :lol:

My rabbits refuse to eat hay. Full stop. (Well actually Cream refuses to eat hay, and Cream gets cross at Cookie is she tries to have any :roll: ) I've tried all sorts to get them to eat more - particularly as my two are both Netherland Dwarfs, and you know what they are like with their teeth :roll: .

I found that making one of the hay racks accessible from the toilet corner helped them to eat a bit more hay. Mine often eat while they sit there doing their business.

While my rabbits didn't like super fancy top-of-the-range £10 per bag American Timothy hay, they go wild for Pets At Home Alfafa Bales and Pets at Home Hay Cookies. It might also be worth buying them toys etc which have hay on/ in them. I once bought my bunnies a tunnel made out of hay (which turned out to be a bit of a dissappointment really, as it was really a carboard tunnel with hay stuck on, instead of being completely made out of hay, but still, every little helps. )

This may not be suitable for everyone, but I have also started to put hay in their house, instead of straw. When I used straw, they always used to eat it. And while I didn't mind too much, because chewing it would obviously help to wear down their teeth (my main concern), I decided to swap to hay because it is better for them nutritionally. (Why do my rabbits REFUSE to eat from the three hay racks or the hay ball I have given them, yet willingly eat it off the floor!?!? WHY!?!? :lol::roll: )

My girls also prefer grass, which TBH is just as good as hay, so I'd give them a bit of that if you get the chance.

I hope that helped a bit :) . I will be watching this topic eagerly as my girls could also do with a bit more hay.

LCL GNR

Mine didnt seem to eat the hay - liked the hay cakes I think they are called from Pets at Home - bit more pricey but may be an option. still bunniless but thinking about more buns,

I think you are thinking of the Pets at Home Hay Cookies that I mentioned in my above post :D

Also, you could try and adding some food that your bunnies like in with the hay in the hay rack. All bunnies are different but mine LOVE curly kale and sage!