MadAboutChooks

Should I have knitted jumpers!

Hi there, had 3 exbats for 2 days now, no problems up till this am. Last night was very cold, so put a heat pad under there straw in the eglu to keep them warm. Now its morning and they dont seem to want to move far from the eglu, seem to be sitting at the door! I think that they are feeling the cold since they have probably come from a warm barn, and they are a bit sparce in the feather department!. Maybe I should have knitted them some jumpers! So far this am they have not eaten or drank as they seem glued to the spot! Any advice

Definitely no to the jumpers, it can damage the emerging quills, and will provide friction at a time when the hens are uncomfortable with the new growth anyway.

The heat pad is a nice gesture, but honestly not necessary, chickens have a higher body temperature than us, and will huddle together which keeps them warm :D

Hi, well done and congrats on your new girls. If you go to the "Little Hen Rescue" site you will find a pattern for making fleece coats. Also the BHWT has people make them for them.

A lot will depend on what state of feathering they have, but you are absolutely right they have spent their entire lives on the same temperature.

Is your run covered AND has wind protection on all sides (this will help.) I actually would give them the snuggle safe in the Eglu through the day too while it is very cold. They will snuggle over it if they need to and won''t if they don't.

I have heard their have been a lot of deaths due to the cold weather this winter. If thet are at all under the weather AND it is cold much energy is used up just keeping warm.

Ii think that the reason they don't go far from the Eglu is that they aren't used to the space rather than that they are cold. Mine have always taken a while to get used to being able to move around. It does come, they are now amongst the most adventurous of my hens. I too wouldn't recommend jumpers.

I'm very local to you, and while it's been cold at night, we have had some lovely days (mine are currently calling to be let out and enjoy the sun!) and no wind.

I wouldn't do jumpers - I saw how sensitive one of ours was when she was growing feathers back after a mault, and can't imagine a jumper would have made her feel any better, just a lot worse!

Perhaps they got spooked by something hence they are lingering near the coop?? I am sure they will become more confident very soon, once they get used to the big open sky and start learning how to be chickens!