chickenlegs

Dogs and Lungworm

Hi, Thought I'd share a recent experience I've had concerning my patterdale Dusty, I took her to be spayed and all appeared well until I went to collect her. She appeared very poorly and the wound area was swollen, so the nurse took her back to the vet and they decided that it was necessary to reopen the wound. It turned out she was bleeding internally, it all added up to a very worrying night and the outcome was that her blood clotting ability is very poor, which is either genetic or due to lungworm, she was treated for both and thankfully is now recovering at home, I had been unaware that lungworm could cause this, so please, especially if your dog is due to have a surgical procedure, speak to your vet about treatment for this, I would have been devastated if I had lost her, Regards Theresa

She wasn't in season or near to a season when she was spayed was she as this causes severe bleeding. If I were in your position I would ask the vet to confirm the diagnosis. If she does indeed have a clotting disorder you need to know about it. They can do tests for clotting times and also lungworm. It may well not be lungworm although from your vet's point of view it makes sense to treat for both. A genetic clotting disorder may have implications for her during her life so you need to know about it. Glad she is recovering, what a shock.

Thanks for you kind thoughts, was offered the test but after the cost of spaying and the extra treatment, meds etc another £100 was just too much but she will always be watched carefully.

As for Jack he could be her litter mate including the pearly white teeth and flash on his chest :D