Scary Mary

Wren problem!

I have a wren nesting in my spring hanging basket, It started a few weeks ago when I'd notice a bird flitting down from the basket in the mornings. Originally I thought it was just feeding off bugs and beasties .but in the last few days I realised it has built a nest as there is a tiny hole through the primula leaves and a little moss canopy is just visible. I don't want to look any closer to see if there are eggs, but there are no noises of fledgelings yet. The nest seems to be well attended and the wren that I see does not appear to be too bothered by our comings and goings - but can anyone tell me how long will it take to hatch and fledge the youngsters ? Also, it has been so wet I have not watered the baskets for over a week and usually use irrigation hoses and drippers, can I water the basket over the next few weeks?

Seriously, I am thrilled but need any hints you can give me to ensure that the nest remains viable and any eggs hatch.

Mary

Thanks Olly and Claire for your helpful links.

It appears that the male wren makes a number of nests and the lucky girl gets to choose which she likes best. At this stage I don't know if mine has been selected, or if the wren I see is just the home building male.

I have decided I had better water the basket as dead dried up plants will not give any cover or protection to the nest. The irrigation dripper can't be much worse than rain and will be a lot less intrusive than me with a watering can. .

I will keep you all posted, but sadly the speed with which the wren dops out of the basket is well beyond my photographic abilities. Once the nest is deserted I will try and photograph it for you to see.

Mary

We have some blue tits nesting in a nesting box that my Dad made me last year - we hadn't actually put it up yet and it is just sitting on a shelf in my side courtyard right outside my kitchen door :D they come and go all day long and I have managed to get some good pics of them coming and going from the hole (3 frames per second required)

8) We had a wren do this in a wall trough, I left her to it, and did not bother to water the plants. Having said that she should be well protected as they do build spherically with only a small entry and exit.

You will know when the eggs have hatched .. trust me, they are small birds, but boy can they cheep :shock::lol:

We have babies :D:D:D:D

Mum and dad have been very busy and are getting bolder as the chicks needs increase.

They are starting to cheep and we saw two maybe three little heads bobbing up and down just after the parent had left - you are right SarahJo, they really make quite a racket, especially when you think how small they are.

My attempts at photos have been hopeless, I belong to the point press and try not to wobble school of photography. :? Still I live in hope!