bbehr27 Posted March 22, 2011 Share Posted March 22, 2011 I've got 4 hens, Millie, Alison and 'Julie' large buff Orps and Sianequa a chocolate orp bantum. Everythings been going fine all laying except Julie who is the youngest. Her wattles and comb pretty small and pinky coloured and then hey presto suddenly she pops out of bed one day last week, bright red head gear and she's pretty obviously a HE not a she. No wonder no eggs. Obviously I'm inexperienced and certainly hadn't planned on this and now I'm not sure what to do next. Noise from 'Julian' may or may not be an issue, however how will my little bantum deal with Julian who is huge in comparison to her? I'm scared he might hurt her once he starts to make advances on her. Is there any need to worry? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted March 22, 2011 Share Posted March 22, 2011 Can you contact the breeder and see if they will take him back? If you live in an urban area then a cockerel isn't likely to be acceptable to your neighbours. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted March 23, 2011 Share Posted March 23, 2011 I saw this title and couldn't resist replying ........ NO I'M NOT!!! But seriously, yes I would worry about a whopping great big Orp fella and a wee Orp banty I'm afraid. Though are you absolutely sure? Has Julie/Julian crowed or flirted with the others yet? What are his neck and saddle feathers like? Don't forget that the comb and wattles get bigger and redder when they're coming into lay. Fingers crossed. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bbehr27 Posted March 23, 2011 Author Share Posted March 23, 2011 He is definitely a boy, he has the first few notes of cockadoodledoo and has started looking like he might fancy his chances with my two large orps. I live on the edge of farmland and think I might just get away with the potential nosie nusiance from him but i'm worried about the bantum. If he is capable of hurting her should I have to think about rehoming him? I already called the breeder where I got him and basically he wasn't interested. We have grown attached to him and would like to find him a free range home somewhere. I feel really guilty when I look at him because he has become so handsome in the last couple of weeks and he's a docile sweety. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jools Posted March 23, 2011 Share Posted March 23, 2011 It's really difficult rehoming cockerels I'm afraid. I wish you luck, but you'd find it a lot easier to rehome your banty Orp - something to think about Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Henergy Posted March 23, 2011 Share Posted March 23, 2011 Ah bless him / her ! I wonder if he was as shocked ! No advice to add but hope it all works out for you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted March 23, 2011 Share Posted March 23, 2011 You may have to think about rehoming the bantam - my LF orp boy is interested in my bantam girl, they are kept separately but it doesn't stop him dancing around her from the other side of the netting, whereas he doesn't even notice the bantam polands exist. I wouldn't want him jumping on her - he is massive and she'd be flattened IMO he needs to stick to his own size Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted March 24, 2011 Share Posted March 24, 2011 We can't assist with rehoming via the forum, click but you could try your luck in the Omlet Marketplace Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted March 24, 2011 Share Posted March 24, 2011 Mmmmmmm a quandry. Easier to re-home a hen than a cockerel,yes. If you can get away with having a cockerel then do rehome your bantam and get another couple of hens. An Orp boy, what a wonderful thing But then maybe you shouldn't listen to me, have a look here http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=73726 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bbehr27 Posted March 28, 2011 Author Share Posted March 28, 2011 Thank you everyone for your advice. I did manage to find a free range home in Lincoln for 'Julian'. I have now added some more 'girls' to my flock, 3 black orp bantums actually. I bought them from the fur and feather spring auction in Melton Mowbray. There have been some slight spats between them and my two large buff Orps Mille and Alison but Doris, Pearle and Winnie are settling in well. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that none of these newbies decide they're guys!! We do miss 'Julian' but are happy in the knowledge that he can free range, crow and court lots of lovely ladies down on the farm in Lincoln. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Henslaved Posted March 28, 2011 Share Posted March 28, 2011 That is good news and congratulations on your new (hopefully) girls Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...