quickcluck Posted April 1, 2011 Share Posted April 1, 2011 I've just come back from a friends and she has 3 of these.............. they are adorable. Very small, short coated, they are almost bald with huge ears and eyes. They are very intellegent, can be taught to do tricks, retrieve, and walk on a lead!!! They are very active and just jumped straight up on my shoulder and on the top of the door They are contantly around people as they dont like to be on their own.... I WANT ONE!!! Could these be an Omlet must have?? http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=BL6&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&q=devon+rex&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=619 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stoice Posted April 1, 2011 Share Posted April 1, 2011 My friend has a chocolate coloured Devon Rex called Colin. He likes to retrieve screwed up balls of paper. I thought it was just a thing he did, not a breed thing. How sweet. My friend has his breed mainly because they don't shed their fur as they have no longer top coat that she is intolerant to (Or something like that). He's such a character, he reminds me of Mr bigglesworth after a dose of Re-gain! He mostly stays indoors through the winter as he gets a bit chilly, but then he also has a little jumper to wear too! Bless. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
batcatz Posted April 3, 2011 Share Posted April 3, 2011 I WANT ONE!!! Could these be an Omlet must have?? http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=BL6&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&q=devon+rex&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=619 YES a definate must have! I have two brothers and they are little monkeys. One of them fetches and jumps on me. They are still like kittens at 5 years old, meow at me to play with them and sometimes bring the toy to me as a hint. They are also very cuddly. One of them loves playing with sticks. haha. p.s. I want more... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted April 4, 2011 Share Posted April 4, 2011 My brother has had Cornish Rex cats (very similar I believe) for years - they are very lively and full of character. I took on his very elderly Rex cat when he moved house a few years ago, as we all felt that a spell in kennels and a long journey would be too much for her. They had a younger cat, and the old lady spent all her time sleeping so I thought she would be no trouble. I couldn't have been more wrong - she developed a new lease of life, and she dominated the house, chased my big tabby out of the cat-flap, and insisted on sleeping on the bed and protesting noisily if she was ignored for a moment. Sadly she died after a few months, I have a policy of only adopting cats from rescue homes but I would have a Rex cat again like a shot if one came up! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Reikiranf Posted April 12, 2011 Share Posted April 12, 2011 I think that Devon Rex are really sweet, The not shedding fur sounds ideal, I picked pretty kittens without thinking how their hair would look on my clothes and it's awful! I have two part Abyssinian boys Bollo and Naboo and a part Persian girl Kiki all adopted from Cats Protection, Naboo and Kiki fetch things for me but they also like to take things and are often trotting around with things in their mouths They also like to put things in my handbag and take them out, the only thing they left for me to take out of it was a worm I don't mind picking worms up for the girlies but feeling something cold and wet in my handbag wasn't nice. Olly there are quite a few pedigree rehoming centres these days so it may be worth a quick google search, although I am banned from such searches as last time I did one I got another kitten Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
furball Posted April 12, 2011 Share Posted April 12, 2011 Am i right in thinking that when they are stroked they feel like suede. Quite a few years ago i was offered one of these lovely cats but turned it down due to having a feral rescue. He was just too nervous/wild at the time to have to get used to another cat as i already had 2 other rescue cats at the time. They sound like great characters. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
quickcluck Posted April 13, 2011 Author Share Posted April 13, 2011 They suede like, that's a very good description!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted April 13, 2011 Share Posted April 13, 2011 You get a similar looking cat to a Devon Rex if you take yours to the vet for an op. Mine came back after his broken leg op looking most peculiar. its since grown back and apart from being a little shorter he has his orange coat back. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Reikiranf Posted April 13, 2011 Share Posted April 13, 2011 You get a similar looking cat to a Devon Rex if you take yours to the vet for an op. Mine came back after his broken leg op looking most peculiar. its since grown back and apart from being a little shorter he has his orange coat back. Awww bless Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted April 13, 2011 Share Posted April 13, 2011 I have a Cornish. They are less like ET being based on a british type. She is gorgeous and is now in her 17th year and still out mousing in the summer. Cornish and Devon have no top coat, it's the undercoat that is curly, so they don't like the cold. She spends her winters in a heated cat igloo or by the fire Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Reikiranf Posted April 13, 2011 Share Posted April 13, 2011 That's one lovely pampered puss you've got there What is her name? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted April 13, 2011 Share Posted April 13, 2011 Blame it on my then CATS mad daughter aged nine Rumpleteazer Teasie for short. And yes, she is a much indulged puss. She had a brother...a lovely black smoke but sadly he dropped dead for no apparent reason some five years ago. They were inseparable and he looked after her. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Reikiranf Posted April 13, 2011 Share Posted April 13, 2011 That's sweet, I like different names Sorry to hear about Teasie's brother, that's why I ended up with 3 kittens, I got 2 brothers but one was very dependant on the other and wandered around moaning if he couldn't see him, so I got a little sister for them Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Alis girls Posted April 15, 2011 Share Posted April 15, 2011 lovely cat - and very spoilt just like mine Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted April 25, 2011 Share Posted April 25, 2011 I've fallen in love with these cats Never been allowed a cat or dog 'cos Mom is (and I used to be) allergic to cats, but have been reading about these and want one! Have got a lot better, normally just get itchy eyes when I've been with some cats for a long time but when I was little my eyes blew up, wheezy, sneezy... Seen they're not completely hypoallergenic but females produce fewer allergens Saw one that can screw open bottles and talks A dog would be too much of a tie but a cat would be good! Dad is screwing his nose up but thats a mahoosive change from the No before - Mom and brother like them Not sure how practical they'd be with the chickens ... we also have Diamond Doves and Gerbils? and wouldn't be until the summer if we ever did. I still want one though! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Old Speckled Hen Posted April 25, 2011 Share Posted April 25, 2011 Lewis......in two years time you would have finished your degree and hopefully left home.......THEN get a cat Then it should be a rescue moggy. You can practice a little self indulgence later. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted April 26, 2011 Share Posted April 26, 2011 I know, but... but... If (and I know I won't) I went to post-grad it'd be another 5 so in 7 years! Mom + Nat want one too, so we're thinking about it not just me wanting one. We've looked after neighbours cats before but obv never had one ourselves. Said we'd have to go and see a breeder first to see if we're not allergic to them. Would be ideal if we could get a rescue but I know they're few and far between - would still have to be a Rex/less furry rescue if I did wait a few years 'cos of me still being a bit allergic to them. Dad admitted earlier it would be nice but still won't say yes. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...