beach chick

new bunnies soon - definitive advice please?

hi all - as previously posted, awaiting our new bunny housing combo, and then will get some new (brown rabbit)(brown rabbit) bunnies :D

may I have some advice please? as really want to get these ones right (previous ones were foxed, so hopefully new housing will sort that one out).

food - I've always given constant hay, and water, but also complete pellets. reading what people say on here, I think I've probably given too much (cat food bowl full between 2). nutritionally, do they really need pellets? because hay is obviously better for their teeth and seems to improve poo quality (and therefore less flystrike...) - and if they have access to grass and apple branches for chewing as well...

housing location - I 'think' it will go on a breeze block floor which is our old log-shed - good for claws? this location is backed up to a garage and sheltered on one side and also shaded by a sloping roof. gets evening sun in the summer. do I really need an all weather cover as well? just that my vet always says bunnies suffer more from heat than cold and it should remain pretty dry where it's going to be.

access to grass - we are planning to add a homemade extension so they can get out onto grass whenever they want in the daytime. this will be made from omlet standard runs with wire underneath to prevent digging out, so exercise etc should be sorted....

toys/entertainment - we have.

anything else?? many thanks rabbit-eers! :D

Heat is a big problem, Keep some frozen plastic bottles of water in the freezer so if they start to feel the

heeat place the fozen bottle in the run so they can snuggle next to it, Also Marble slabs a a good thing to

have as the bunnies lay on them and keep their body temp down.

Edited by Guest

Great news that you're getting new bunnies :D With food for ours they have hay all the time, fresh greens (or they get let out to eat the garden) morning and evening and then Burgess Excel pellets (about egg cup each) in the evening only - they really don't need very much if they have a good diet otherwise. Our love them and its the easiest way to coax them back into their hutch in the evening :D