catgirl

Pekin Bantams - how many can fit in an Eglu

Hi

I am about to get my first Eglu, very excited! We are probably getting the Eglu classic as the Cube is too expensive for us. I am hoping to get Pekin Bantams - ideally 5. Would 5 be OK in an Eglu classic if I got the 1m run extension? they will be able to free range sometimes too and we have a large garden for them.

Rebecca

Hi we are currently introducing 3 pekins into my original bantams. I wondered if there was room before I bought them but snook a look at the sleeping arrangements and all 3 were squished up at the back together leaving room for at least 3 more :lol:

I have 2 hybrids (in a wooden coop) and they are at least 3/4 times bigger than the pekins so if there is room for 4 big chucks in the eglu there is plenty of room for 6 bantys. It's more the run size to be honest. As you've extended it it should be fine to get 5/6. Go for 6 :wink:

Hello & welcome to the forum :D

I agree that your pekins will have bags of space in the eglu & will probably do OK in an extended run so long as they have some f/r time. However I'm not sure about the nesting box :? I think one nest box will do 3 - 5 birds but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone will come along soon to tell you.

Be sure and post some pictures when your pekins arrive - we do love pics on the forum :)

Alli xx

The nest box may have a queue but we've had 2 of our banties share a next box ... and being pekins there will be less of a queue compared to hybrids :lol:

The run space is the limiter so an extension is a good idea and lots of FR time :D

Well, I have bought my Eglu now - ended up with a classic in purple from Omlet - collect it tomorrow. Then Wednesday we get the chickens! I am having a buff and a black mottled pekin bantam and a white bearded silkie to start with! I really wanted a lemon and lavendar but I can't find anywhere with any available at the moment. The breeder we are going to has smooth coated and frizzles lemons and lavendars in July/August so it is going to be difficult to choose when i come to adding those!

Omlet said I should be OK to fit 6 into the Eglu, but I have got a 3m run with it and will probably add another metre when I get the next 3 birds. So excited!!!