Peachy77

Sour Crop or Impacted Crop?

Our 3 year old gingernut ranger has one of the aboe, but Im not sure the difference between the two, or how to treat. I was out most the day yesterday, but when I g ot back I gave the girls a couple of grapes. I noticed that she wasnt that interested. Looked at her crop at it seemed rather large. Had a feel and you can feel its full of grit. Why would she eat so much? Gave it a massage last night, and just been to let them out. Her crop is still very full, and I can feel the grit still.

We only lost a girl last friday, which I think may have been to peritonitus (her crop was empty). Dont really want to go down to 1 girl left with a week.

Any ideas in ways in which I can help her would be great.

Been to see my local chicken breeder today. They suggested taking the food away from lunch time, and acv in the water, with massages a few times a day. They said they hadnt heard of the maggots before. Will try today without the food, and see what happens in the morning. Then may go and get the maggots tomorrow, as I guess the shops will be closed friday, sunday and monday for easter.

Without food for 16 hours, and still no change. Been massaging, and it does seem to break it up a bit. Been out and got some maggots this morning. She ate a few then didnt seem that interested. Want to try the olive oil as well, bit read somewhere you have to be careful when doing it as to not choke them, so am a bit wary of that. Read on the net also that another way of doing it is to soak tiny peices of bread in oil, then let them eat it. Has anyone tried that?

Also brought some probiotic yoghurt. Thought that wouldnt do any harm wither.