AnnieP

Eglu on Anglia TV tonight

Just copied this from the home page:

eglu on TV tonight!

Tuesday 29th May 2007

Breaking news just in, an eglu owner and her chickens will be on the ITV Anglia News tonight at 6pm as part of a story on the UK's fastest growing hobby - keeping chickens (in an eglu of course!)

:roll::roll:

DId anyone see it???

Just in time and saw it. Bedford eglu, fastest growing hobby etc. They said the eglu is pricey compared to a traditional coop but actually if you look at similar in wood they compare favourably. The female presenter said she now had hens :D hope with an Eglu :D

it was green by the way

BBx :D:D:D:D:D

They said the eglu is pricey compared to a traditional coop but actually if you look at similar in wood they compare favourably.

I am out of the area for Anglia so didn't see the item, but why do they always have to say that the Eglu is pricey :twisted::twisted:

I agree Buffie, I did my research before I bought mine and they are NOT pricey at all (and I am on one hell of a tight budget), and if you compare the manouverability, ease of maintenance, expected lifespan, fox proof run etc, they have no competitors!

Rant over!

:D I saw it! :D

Really good article - chickens behaving beautifully 8)

Yes the reporter mentioned the eglu was pricey (they claimed you could get an equivalent traditional coop for £100) but worse - in my humble opinion - was she pointed out that the chickens in question hadn't laid yet and implied it was because they were living the pampered good life and not because they simply weren't mature enough :roll:

All in all, it came across really well, the owner was lovely, and if I had seen it and not known anything about chickens I would have been left with a really positive impression.

Review over! :D

Hi,

Obviously, I didn't see it either, but wish I had been able to show friends and family and work colleagues and others who seem a little difficult to persuade. My parents came by today to view the new arrivals and my mum saw the eglu for the first time and is VERY impressed. Problem is we live in a rural area of Denmark where EVERYONE has an opinion and EVERYTHING has to be cheap. When I mentioned the price of the eglu to a colleague, she promptly went and added up the cost of building my own and obviously came to a much smaller figure. I know it can seem costly and I was lucky that I work for TNT and could have it collected at cost price as opposed to paying almost the same amount again for delivery.

But SURELY the ease of cleaning, the convenience and most importantly the well thought out design MUST outweigh all that?

I for one is thrilled with my eglu and tell everyone I meet. My cousin is now considering getting one. She'll have to pay for the transport though...

I've had a few raised eyebrows from people about the cost of the eglu BUT these are quite often people that will spend loads of money on things I wouldn't. :roll: For example, one has two pedigree dogs (add up cost of buying the dogs, dog food, vets bills etc - you don't even get eggs in return :lol: ) or they spend a fortune on designer clothes, or three foreign holidays a year........ :roll:

Most people are sceptical, then see the eglu and realise just how easy it is to clean and maintain and can understand why I bought one. :D

Sounds like you are a trendsetter in Denmark :wink::D8)

That's it Looney, it's all about priorities!

Wow, I have never been described as a trendsetter before... Not sure how to cope. :shock: Mad, spontaneous, spoilt, demanding and such words, but never a trendsetter. There's always a first I suppose. :lol: You see, I have a couple of trips to the UK every year and used to own a pedigree boxer, so I'm guilty, your honour! :roll: When I bought the dog I had money from my ex husband buying me out of a flat and now that the ex lives in England the children have to make a couple of journeys and only one of them is old enough to travel on her own. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! :wink:

Thanks!

:oops::lol::lol::lol:

No excuses necessary, it's all about having an enjoyable life! :D I wasn't being judgemental just clumsily trying to say it is funny how quick people are to judge against cost because it is something that they wouldn't consider themselves. :D

If you travel to and from Denmark by car perhaps you could collect an eglu from the UK each time and sell on in Denmark?! :idea:

No no, don't worry, I know what you meant. Also priorities change as life changes so there's hope for lots more people yet! :wink:

I don't bring my car to England. Two reasons 1) I'm an impatient person and it takes forever either through France or by ferry to Harwich 2) My car is a litlle old Fiesta and probably wouldn't make it. I couldn't even fit both the boxes it it from work the day they arrived, but had a friendly colleague help me out. :lol: I did ask the Omlet people if they were considering expanding to Denmark as I'm sure there's a market for eglus and cubes here and would love to be part of it. No such plans yet though, but if I spread the word and loads of people ask they might do it in the end. And importing a full load would be a lot cheaper than the invividual ones. We'll see. I'm still so new to the chicken keeping that I haven't succeeded in catching and carrying any of them yet, they only arrived yesterday.

I think i remember eglus in france,Germany and one in South Africa.

Great news Lailapet :D I did the costing thing too, because my finances are tight (I'm a single parent like you). And, taking into account all the maintenance and extra cleaning needed with the alternatives, I felt that the eglu price was a justifiable expense. Believe me, I am delighted with mine and it has impressed my friends with wooden houses.