mahu

composting

Hello again

I was wondering, I have recently been chucking my old hemcore in the composting bin, mixed with grass cuttings and general kitchen waste ( anything the chucks wont eat)

does anyone know how long it takes to breakdown? what is the best thing to do I.E. Keep wetting it in the compost bin?

Cheers

you need a mix of 'green' and 'brown' in your bin - 'green' is stuff high in nitrogen, like grass cuttings, kitchen waste, and chicken poo! 'Brown' is stuff like dry leaves, paper, cardboard or hemcore/aubiose.

so the mix we get out of our Eglu droppings tray should be just about perfect! I haven't had mine long enough to get any out, but I just keep layering it with the other composting stuff - I'm sure that others on here have said it composts really well. If you're putting green stuff in your bin as well, I wouldn't wet it, as you might end up with too much moisture - it should rot down if left to its own devices.

I water mine occasionally including a compost excelerator - cant remember the name. but there are a range of organic ones that help everything to compost faster.

My heap seems to be working pretty well at the moment :D

well the best compost accelerator apparently is wee ... ok if you're a bloke, although the top of my bin is about 4' high, but for us gals ... and no, I am NOT prepared to use my beloved Tubtrugs for that! :wink:

Seriously, if you have a bloke around the house get him to wee in the composter occasionally. After dark might be best. :lol:

well the best compost accelerator apparently is wee ... ok if you're a bloke, although the top of my bin is about 4' high, but for us gals ... and no, I am NOT prepared to use my beloved Tubtrugs for that! :wink:

Seriously, if you have a bloke around the house get him to wee in the composter occasionally. After dark might be best. :lol:

My sister had us in hysterics describing how her husband climbed up step ladders to pee into the compost bin. The mental image took some erasing I can tell you!! :lol:

My sister had us in hysterics describing how her husband climbed up step ladders to pee into the compost bin. The mental image took some erasing I can tell you!! :lol:

I would have thought men would be good at peeing in compost bins without ladders - didnt they spend their youth holding 'who can pee the highest' competitions?!!! :lol::lol::lol:

WOW, I must tell our gardeners to do this (actually gardeners sounds posh, they are clearing a jungle!). Last week they came for a day when "Ooops, word censored!"ody was home and when I got in late afternoon they were both busting for the loo. I'll just tell them to use the compost heap next time - might have to leave a bowl out to help the lady though!

Just thought too that the Male scent (putting it politely) will help to keep foxes away too! Bargain.....dont feel guilt about flashing/Taking a leak in the back garden now, I am just protecting our Chucks!

I'm so pleased to see it here as I mentioned it in another thread recently.

Male urine is a great fox deterant (imho); that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. The only problem is that I have to nip out to deter the foxes more and more the older I get .....