Chookno5 Posted June 6, 2011 Share Posted June 6, 2011 I have just purchased 2 8-10 week old bantam chicks who are now living in our old hamster cage in the kitchen. When and how is best to introduce them to our existing flock of 3 hybrid large fowl. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted June 6, 2011 Share Posted June 6, 2011 Not until they are at least 18 weeks old, and then very very slowly, the age and the size difference will cause a problem. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperwife Posted June 6, 2011 Share Posted June 6, 2011 I agree. you need to keep them separate for a good couple of months yet, and then im not sure that the little ones will cope with the big girls im sure someone who has a lot more experience than me will come along soon and offer advise cathy x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cooks Posted June 6, 2011 Share Posted June 6, 2011 I have introduced a bantie to large fowl, but it has to be done slowly slowly and never rushed. They are still waaay off that yet as they are far too young as the others have said. Your young girls should be spending a lot of their time in a secure and sheltered run in the garden at this stage rather than just being in a hutch indoors, so it may be wise to obtain (if you dont already have one) a secure run and coop/eglu for them as they will need to be outside fulltime a long while before they are ready to join your others. Also a Hamster cage is far too small, sorry. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted June 6, 2011 Share Posted June 6, 2011 I agree that a hamster cage is too small, I also agree that they should be outside in a secure run by now. Time to invest in a second coop and run I think Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted June 6, 2011 Share Posted June 6, 2011 Have to agree you need a bigger space for your chicks I have also introduced bantams to LF but it took months of them been in seperate runs, able to see each other but not get at each other and even then its not always succesful. Take it as slowly as you can and hopefully eventually they will all become one big happy flock Good luck Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted June 7, 2011 Share Posted June 7, 2011 Mine came at that age, I sectioned off part of the run and put in a small house off ebay. They were in there until about 16 or 17 weeks when I could tell from their behaviour that they were ready to mix and did it gradually over a week or two by normal slow introduction method. Enjoy your little bantams they are so cute at that age, I loved listening to the cheeping. Come to think of it, it wasn't so long after their voices dropped that they were ready to mix. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
karlotta Posted June 7, 2011 Share Posted June 7, 2011 I'm thinking about merging my flocks (except maybe the polands) and think my plan will be to split the run (electric fence area) down the middle and let them peer at each other for a while. There is every chance that someone might vault over into the adjoining area, but I assume these will only be the bravest so will be ready to mix! I think as long as they are mature they should cope ok with a nice slow intro. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
quickcluck Posted June 7, 2011 Share Posted June 7, 2011 I've got 3 pekins in with all of mine. I got them at 6 weeks. But I put them in an ark in the big run, then moved them into a sectioned part of the run when they'd out grown it. I do my intros rediculously slowly, but it was successfull Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bouldercroft Posted June 8, 2011 Share Posted June 8, 2011 in my experience it was more about introducing the large fowl to the bantam - Josie is the meanest chicken you ever met! She's a third of the size of my new girls but she was incessantly mean to them when they arrived and still is... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chookno5 Posted June 10, 2011 Author Share Posted June 10, 2011 Thanks for all the help. Chicks now have their own ark next to the other run and are presently being investigated by 3 very curious chickens!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sparkysmum Posted June 10, 2011 Share Posted June 10, 2011 So glad to hear they have their own ark. My banties have their own run & eglu although they f/r much of the time. So much happier this way. Alli x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...