westie mum

Bumblefoot

One of my girls has got bumblefoot :( .Took her to the vets and they have given me antibiotics and I am bathing her feet a couple of times a day. Will she get over it? The vets are worse than useless and the information they've got about it was from one of the vet nurses who had chickens. :roll: The senior vet wanted to pull the scabs off but the nurse told him not to do that. :notalk: I came out totally confused. We have got to go back on Thursday and discuss the options, the vet mentioned surgery but I said no. There is no way I am going to spend a couple of hundred pound on a chicken that cost me £15 or is that me just being heartless. :? Any advice welcomed :)

As far as I know Bumblefoot can be successfully treated with antibiotics. The vet was looking for signs of Bumblefoot when I took Agnes in last week. (Thankfully, our vets are well up on poultry matters). Apparently it starts with a small cut or laceration which gets infected and swells up big. If you have caught it early you should be ok.

And no, I wouldn't spend a fortune on surgery either.

Keep it clean!!! If it means no digging in the garden for a few days, so be it.

HOWEVER>>> You are the owner of a living creature, and you owe it to your feathered friend to look after it as best as you can - cost to your purse is not something that should be thought about lightly when dealing with a life.

It might only be a £15 hen, but you shouldn't deny treatment if it's needed.

Good luck with her little foot

Hugs, Stacey X

I can assure you she will not be denied treatment she is on antibiotics and I bathe her feet. All of my animals are looked after,my point was that I would not pay a ridiculous amount for surgery. If there was no improvement in her condition (which thankfully there does seem to be) then she would be put to sleep.

Does anyone know the correct doseage for Baytril? She is on 1ml twice a day but it seems a huge amount compared to the size of her!

Thanks x

Bumblefoot is a tricky one to treat. like an ear infection, due to lack of major blood flow to the feet.

Keeping it clean as has been suggested, with bathing is the best treatment. The Baytril dose doesn't seem too much to me. A small amount of tea tree oil in the water to bathe her foot is also a good idea - antiseptic.

Good luck and hope she is better soon.

Thanks Christian :) I have put tea tree in the water and her feet are looking much better, they are not as puffy and the black scabs are becoming a little looser.Hope this is a good sign that they are healing. Just hope that the vet doesn't want to pull them off on Thursday :roll: I think I would prefer them to come off on there own.

Well after being on antibiotics for 3 weeks one of the scabs has come off. I have bathed it in pevidine but don't know whether to cover it up or leave it. There is quite a hole where the callous has come out so I'm thinking I should cover it. There is still pus there and her foot is a little swollen but I'm hoping that will go down now. Should I also be keeping her on antibiotics for another week as hers run out tomorrow?

I have successfully treated bumblefoot without the vets. After standing her in some warm salty water for a while, I removed the scab and as much pus as she would let me, then bathed it in surgical spirit. I then applied a makeshift plaster.

I did all this just before she went to bed so she would not be scratching around anywhere till it dried and formed a skin.

I limited all the girls FR time for a few days and bathed her foot with surgical spirit every night before she went to bed for a couple of days and she was fine :D .

I have been treating a chicken with bumblefoot for many months. Having removed the plug and daily treating her with manuka honey and all the other suggestions that I have found on various chicken sites, I could not get rid of the infection. Her foot was always hot and also her leg. Earlier in the days of her infection, I took her to the vets and she was on antibiotics, this helped, but the bumblefoot returned. I came across a site that talked about using Animalintex Poultice. It is a veterinary product and is usually used for infected wounds in horses and dogs. As a final resort, I sent for a pack. I treated her with a hot wet poultice for a few days ,after which, there appeared not to be any pus. So I then used it dry, changing the dressing every couple of days. To my amazement and great relief, it is finally healing, Her foot and leg are cold which is an indicator that the infection has gone. I will keep dressing the foot until the healing scab comes away. I got the Poultice from Hyperdrug.

If your vet told you this, it's not my place to tell you otherwise.

However, I don't think toxic is the right word. Antibiotics can find their way into eggs when a bird is treated. Mostly this isn't a problem, unless you are allergic to a certain antibiotic. But it can cause bacteria to become resistent. As you would only get very small doses of the antibiotic, it is very unlikely to kill any of your own bacteria, but low doses offers the possibility of getting used to it. And so next time you take that antibiotic to treat a bacterial infection, the bacteria might have become resistent and won't die. This is very big problem world wide and the reason your GP will always tell you to finish a whole course even if you feel better.

If it were toxic, then the whole bio industry would cease to exist as almost all bio industry animals will have been treated with antibiotic at one point in their lives.