hammy72

chickens bedtime

This is probably a silly question but I am a newbie. I am picking up my two chickens next week and guess I will probably learn from them what their routine is. However, in a few weekends time I am taking my nephews out for the evening and won't be back until about 9.30pm. Looking at the sunset times for that day the sun is due to go down at 8.45pm. The chickens will be in their secure run and able to get in their coop but am I tempting a fox into the garden if I am not there to shut the eglu door as soon as it goes dark? My neighbours might come round and do it tho' as I sometimes put their rabbits to bed.

if your run is secure i cant see why leaving the door open will matter when i first got my girls i use to let them out on a morning and close the door on a night but now i just leave the door open all the time there is plenty of people who leave the door open all year round as long as the set up is fox proof if it is i cant see a problem

I used to worry about this as well, we do shift work and are sometimes both of us are working at night and cant close the Cube door. After reading that Egluntyne never closes hers (and many others), I dont worry about it anymore. DH closes them in when he gets in at sometimes 2am, then I let them out when I get home after nights at 7am. They will be fine! :D

THANK YOU everyone! I feel a bit more relaxed now that I can go out and enjoy the evening and then put them to bed (if they haven't already gone in) when we get back. And yes I am working hard on making the eglu run as secure as I can...slabs, sleepers, extra omlet pegs and clips and going to track down some cable ties today.

hammy72 glad your feeling better, there are some cable ties on ebay in the green colour to match the run, i have got some and they are lovely,

I also leave the door open all year round, A. so i dont have to get up early and B. my girls HATE it, if i close it they will talk and shout at me all night, so best all round!!!! :lol:

p.s ebay item is 260813517233