Sue_F

Chickens sleeping in nesting box

Help!! One of my chickens seems to have taken up residence in the nesting box! She sleeps there every night in the Eglu... Has anyone else had this problem, what should I do? Also any advice on catching chickens, they're faster than I am!!

I reckon the two GNRGNR of mine sleep in the nesting box , I was as worried as you at first but it does not seem to cause a problem.

The PP always goes in last and seems to guard it by blocking the way and sleeping on the bars.

The only problem is if it is a problem , They poo in the night which can make the nest box messy so the first thing |I do in the morning is scoop it out ...I have two allotments so I get on my bike , peddle to my allotments and throw it on . :)

PS I forgot ... I am a fairly newby and put something on the forum about being scared of my girlks, they told me on here to just put a treat in a tub and rattle it , they will soon come to you ...while they are eating grab them quick if you have to or lead them to where you want to them to go ... Listen to me 4 weeks a go I had not got a clue :clap:

I am also a newbie (have had our chickens for 1 wek now), but I'm sure I read somewhere that you can put a football in the box once they are in for the night. OUrs were sleepin i the nesting bit, we did this for a couple of nights and they seem to have got the idea!

If the question was at me- definitely enjoying our new chickens! They are taking a bit of time to settle with each other (I posted about pecking order etc, but one of our rescues still seem a bit bullying to the speckledy) - but getting much tamer with us, and discovering all sorts of treats! Many hours alreay spent 'supervising'!

Thanks for your help... We had another softie from Tilly the pepperpot today, she laided it on the roosting bars in the eglu but it fell though and cracked. We bought them some osyter shell grit so hopefully we'll get some nice one soon... AND in the nesting box!!:-)

Tilly (the PP ) has laid another egg! :dance: but it was another soft shelled one! It was her best yet by far though!! I'm hoping for a really good one soon :pray: The egg looked soooooooo fresh, I can't wait to eat one soon.... She laid it outside again, but 2 in one day :!:

Getting there :!: We want a picture of your first egg. It will be the nicest egg you have ever tasted , just don't fight over it :) Mine have as yet not had a soft egg, I think it is down to grit. When we had our first egg after 5 days it was 38grams now the little darling GNR Poppy after 2 months is laying 60 grams . The other 2 average between 55 and 75 grams and we have had 2 double yolks :clap: ..Have patience and :pray:

my buff Orpington is the only hen that lays softies..and she lays loads...she is pretty useless as a hen to be honest...13 softies then 2 normal eggs and then went broody...having recovered we have had one normal and the rest softies again....she has constant access to shell and very few treats..and those she does get is greens or fruit...and that's maybe once a week so I would suggest some hens just do lay them and others just don't

If you were a chicken wouldn't you sleep in a nesting box where it's more comfy?! It's no problem, ours love sleeping in theirs and often play chicken jenga in the nesting box rather than be on the roosting bars. It's fine, no need to discourage it.

As for softies, ensure that your girls are all wormed up to date, only give them treats / let them free range in the afternoon. Let them fill up on layers pellets in the morning so they have all the nutrients they need to produce hard shelled eggs.

:)

One of mine settles in the nesting area of the eglu in the evening but I think that's cos she's nosy and likes to peek out. By the time it is proper chicken bedtime the 2 of them are cuddled up on the roosting bars together. No eggs yet but the farm said we'd probably have to wait a month (had them for 2 weeks)

YAY!!!!!!!!!! My first egg!!!!!! I went out and looked at 4 and there was an egg in the nest box!!!!!! :D Well done Tilly :clap: !!!!! We left them in the run until 11 this am so they could fill up on layers pellets, thanks for all your help!!!