Constance

Slug Pellets

Firstly, I'd like to say that I have only just discovered Omlet in the past couple of days and I think it is a marvelous inovation. I've always wanted to keep chickens, now I can. I have an allotment and I want to prepare one of the terraces for them. As soon as I've got it ready, I'm going to buy an Eglu. but at the moment, I've got a BIG PROBLEM! It is full tall weeds and it's very uneven, That's not the problem, THE PROBLEM is that there is a residue of SLUG PELLETS. How can I make sure that the chickens don't come into contact with them? I'd like some advise on how I can make this area safe for my hens, and once I have dug out the weeds, in order to get the plot levelled, I will be left with just earth and obvioulsy the slug pellets will become intergrated in the turned over soil. What is the best way to deal with my problem and what surface should I go for afterwards? I have been told that Aubois is very good or wood shavings.

I'd be so grateful for your help.

Hi Egluntine - Thanks for you speedy response. I'm sure I'm really going to enjoy the forum.

You have a very good point - they do dissolve in time so perhaps the easiest thing to do is to skim off the surface where I can see them, as best I can, then turn the soil over to a depth of four or six inches, and then as you suggested give it lots watering.

All the very best.

Hi Egluntine - Thanks for you speedy response. I'm sure I'm really going to enjoy the forum.

You have a very good point - they do dissolve in time so perhaps the easiest thing to do is to skim off the surface where I can see them, as best I can, then turn the soil over to a depth of four or six inches, and then as you suggested give it lots watering.

All the very best.

And for future applications I'd recommend pet safe pellets that are also organic: Ours are from Growing Success.

And for future applications I'd recommend pet safe pellets that are also organic: Ours are from Growing Success.

Hi Andi,

if using these pet safe pellets does that mean it is safe for the chickens to eat the slugs that may be dying having eaten the pellets?

Thanks

Welcome Constance

I'm not sure whether its safe for the chooks to eat the slugs or not, i always use crushed eggshell wherever the chooks may roam, just to be on the safe side. I always have plenty of eggshells! I have also had wuite a lot of success using poultry grit, in pots in the greenhouse anyway. I got a big bag of the stuff quite cheaply so i was quite willing to use some to save my seedlings.