Mercedes55

One day hen sick *Update ?Fowl Coryza/ Myco*

OH is back from the vets. Now this vet says she doesn't think it's Coryza but that it's Myco, which is what we thought it was at first. I'm still not convinced as our Sussex Ranger doesn't seem right today and she has been vaccinated against that, so will just have to see if she gets any worse or if the White Leghorn gets ill.

Flavia, who is the sickest of them all had an anti inflammatory injection for the swelling plus they all had an injection of antibiotics too. We have some antibiotics to give them at home which is called Marbocyl, which I have never heard of. I think there is a month's egg withdrawal with that, but can't find much info about it online in regards to giving it to hens.

The ex batts are to continue on the soluble Tylan.

With coryza, they have a distinctive smell, from the yukky nasal discharge. Apparently it is one of those 'once smelt, never forgotten' aromas, so perhaps it is Myco after all.

Well I have to say I haven't noticed a smell. Even when they were indoors last night it was just a chicken smell that I smelt, so yes maybe it is Myco. But I now wonder why are Sussex Ranger is starting to show symptoms as she was vaccinated for Myco according to the paperwork we have for her, although I know some vaccines are given by spray and some hens can miss getting their dose and I have no idea if that vaccine is injected or sprayed. Not even sure how it may affect them long term, although I am under the impression I will now have to have a 'closed flock' :(

You saw Julie, I picked up some abx from her earlier today. She knows her stuff and has never been wrong with mine, myco vaccine doesn't always work. I usually have marbocyl - just another type of antibiotic. Have pm'd you too :)

Thanks for that. Yes I think it must have been Julie as she apparently knew her stuff, unlike our own vet. Our Favorelle is probably the sickest of our girls and sounds like she is gargling all the time, that is the only way I can describe the noise she is making. The swelling has gone down a bit though and her eyes are open and I just want to pick her up and give her a cuddle, but right now I don't think she would appreciate it.

Am I right in thinking it's egg withdrawal for a month? Luckily we have quite a lot of eggs right now, so hopefully if that is the case we should be able to get by :)

Trouble with myco it is all upper respiratory - eyes, sinuses etc so will sound a lot worse :(

It's truly awful though isn't it, never heard anything quite like it before and don't want to hear it again either :shock:

We have already given our Sussex Ranger a dose of antibiotics this evening as she didn't have a jab today and she seems to be affected too.

I just wanted to pass on my sympathies. I had a girl with that dreadful loud gurgling breathing, as far as we could tell it was myco, but with her it came on very slowly, not like your experience at all. It was the 2nd most upsetting thing I've encountered in years of chicken keeping so I really feel for you.

Well we spent most of the morning at the vets again as our 3 ex batts now have it too. Noticed our only egg laying ex batt was a bit quiet last night, but thought it might be an egg problem, till she sneezed.

So first thing we put all 3 into a crate and drove over to the vets. We didn't have an appt as they were still closed when we left and we were worried about getting stuck in traffic. Ended up being there for nearly 2hrs and all 3 had an injection and are on a 5 day course of meds.

Seems like it will never end :?

Just wanted to let you know there is hope. I have been going through a similar problem recently with all 12 of my chooks showing symptoms of Myco some worse than others and I have practically been living at the vets for the last two weeks and had to leave 2 of my girls there for a couple of days. They are finally showing some improvement and I am hopeful we are turning the corner, syringing antibiotic into 12 chickens twice a day is no joke :lol: Another omleteer suggested I give my chooks Herban tonic and I must say it does seem to have perked them up no end. Lots of luck to you and it does get better I promise :D

Yes I had read about the effect on their eggs, which is a shame as they all lay such lovely eggs. It's ironic that the 2 girls with the least symptoms are the 2 that don't lay anymore and the ones with the more severe symptoms are our blue egg layers.

Someone who has kept Favorelles in the past has told me that they are apparently more susceptible to upper respiratory illnesses than other hens. Something to do with the muff feathers apparently and I have no idea what that means.

It is to do with their 'beard'. Perhaps it traps bacteria/viruses and nasal discharges. Muff feathers are a tuft of feathers on the sides of the head, or on the legs, of some breeds of bird.

Also ... if you were thinking of breeding from them, myco can be transmitted from carrier mother to chick via the egg, so the problem would continue.

Thanks for the clarification on that, I did wonder what it meant :lol:

Actually does make sense as yes they do have a lot of heavy feathering around their faces so could trap bacteria/viruses more there. They are however still my favourite breed. OH is adamant he wants to have more, but obviously we can't for some time. We are going to do a deep clean of the run and the Cube and Eglu at the weekend. We haven't let any of our existing girls into the sectioned off run the new girls were in, just threw some Stalosan F into there last week and left it, but the whole run needs sorting out and sanitising. I need to find a way of making a proper quarantine area I guess. Need to get my thinking cap on :wink:

Our flock seem to be doing okay. The 3 ex batts never really seemed to fully develop the illness, nor did the 2 hybrids we bought from the breeder who we were very confident about re their vaccinations etc. So it's basically the pure breeds who were the worst affected, although we have had them just under a year and till now they have been in the best of health and most likely would still be if we hadn't introduced a sick hen :wall::wall::wall:

We are having fun and games trying to get the meds down all 8 of our flock. Have been using the towel method that I think I read about one here. However it's the catching them that is the hard part. Our Cream Legbar is like a demented banshee when we try to catch her :?

Can you beg steal or borrow an angler's landing net? It makes catching a reluctant hen a lot easier.

Well I think we do have a big net in the shed and we have used that before, so probably a good idea. These girls are not daft, they seem to sense we are going to try and catch them and all run under the Cube :lol:

I really feel for you and I know what you mean it is extremely stressfull and takes over your life. We have the same problem with Myco at the moment and are having to medicate 12 hens twice a day, which is no joke. This morning at 5.30am im standing in my PJ's and wellies in the pouring rain with my OH before he goes off to work, syringing antibiotics down the throats of chooks!!! Remind me why we do this :lol: Good luck with your girls and don't beat yourself up too much(easier said than done I know), all of us do our best to look after our chooks and keep them healthy and can't be held responsible for other peoples bad breeding practices. :D X

Can't recall if I mentioned yesterday that Chloe our Cream Legbar was having a bit of a setback. She was the first of our girls to show signs of this illness last week and yesterday one of her eyes was closed and her nose was running and she was very quiet. This morning she hasn't come out of the Cube, so guess she isn't feeling too good. It does seem that our pure breeds have really bore the brunt of this illness, which makes me question once more if they had actually been vaccinated against Myco as touch wood none of the others have had symptoms as bad as the pure breeds. Did phone the vets and they said to go back on Saturday if she isn't any better. OH and I are still numb after losing our beautiful Favorelle so really don't want to lose any more but right now am not pinning my hopes on them all getting better :?

Lyn, do you have any Nutridrops that you can give her? They are a big help with ailing hens.

My understanding about the majority of avian vaccinations is that 1. they are generally done on such a large scale that they don't always 'take'; and 2. that as with humans there are various strains of the diseases and not all of them can be covered.

I would always be doubtful if anyone told me that their pure breeds were vaccinated; it's best to assume that they wouldn't be.