Mercedes55

One day hen sick *Update ?Fowl Coryza/ Myco*

We do have Nutridrops yes, but everytime we've use them in the past we haven't noticed any improvement, but as we have them will try to use them. OH has gone over to the vets to pick up some replacement meds for the ones he spilt yesterday. Got an appt for tomorrow morning, wasn't able to get one for today. Have brought Chloe into the house and put her in a crate in the corner and put a big towel over it as she is very nervy. Hope I am doing everything right.

Up till now we never had any problems with our pure breeds so I'm loathe to criticise the breeder we got them from. However they do state quite clearly on their website that all their hens are fully vaccinated and go into a lot of depth about what vaccines are given at what age. They do now sell hybrids too, but last year when we got our girls they only sold pure breeds.

From their website

Our Vaccination Programme

All the birds that we keep and sell undergo a full vaccination programme for the most commonly occurring conditions.

Some of these vaccines are relatively expensive but we feel that this programme ensures that the birds we sell are the best possible quality saving you the potential risk and upset that a disease in your flock could cause.

Now I am aware that because of the way that vaccines are administered it can be possible for them to not get their vaccine, but would seem odd that all 4 have been the worst affected of our flock.

Interesting that they sell both pure breeds and hybrids; I was having a conversation about this with a friend at the weekend. I suggested that it would be difficult (from a bio-security point of view) to stock both vaccinated hybrids and non-vaccinated pure breeds on the same site. If it's your own personal flock, then it's up to you, but a retailer selling to the public may have to make a different decision.

That's just my opinion anyway.

Interesting that they sell both pure breeds and hybrids; I was having a conversation about this with a friend at the weekend. I suggested that it would be difficult (from a bio-security point of view) to stock both vaccinated hybrids and non-vaccinated pure breeds on the same site. If it's your own personal flock, then it's up to you, but a retailer selling to the public may have to make a different decision.

That's just my opinion anyway.

Well it was news to me that they are now selling hybrids as last year they only sold pure breeds. I have just taken a video of Chloe to show how she is behaving, to me there is something very wrong as apart from her eyes and her being quite still her breathing seems odd, but would appreciate any expert opinions as I really don't know enough about hens to know if this is normal or not. I actually feel we are going to lose her going by how she is right now, considering she has been on meds for over a week too :?

th_video-2011-08-25-14-35-41.jpg

She doesn't look too good, does she? Poor girl.

TBH, if she was mine I'd despatch her :(

Sorry :? xx

I'm devastated, you know how you cling to hoping they will all get better. It breaks my heart to see them like this, yet I also don't have the heart to have any of them PTS either, neither does my OH. She had seemed to be getting so much better, I just don't understand why she's having such a setback :?

Oh dear, it is heartbreaking to watch her in that clip :( To be honest a trip to the vet would set her back more than anything else. The stress of being moved could well finish her off. If you want to continue trying to treat her she needs to be as quiet and stress free as possible. You could email that clip to your vet explaining that you don't want to move her and they may prescribe a change of antibiotic perhaps without seeing her. She need to be kept well hydrated as she will be loosing more fluid by mouth breathing. She may have a secondary chest infection/pneumonia. It is hard to give up I know but I am not sure that she has enough fight left in her poor soul :(

We've put her back in the run as she really is very nervy and didn't seem happy being in the house. I still don't think she will pull through, but she has gone into the back run with the others and is wandering around, although very half heartedly but definitely seems happier down there. OH is totally against her being PTS and says he just can't do it and will see if she is any better in the morning. However I do take on board the extra stress of taking her back to the vets, poor thing. She has been twice already and has been on Tylan and now that other med whose name totally evades me as I am so stressed out. We do have a bottle of Baytril at home and I might phone the surgery to see what the chicken vet has to say about giving her some of that today instead of the other med.

I think that supporting her is the key now, get some food or fluid down her with the minimum of stress and keep her warm, quiet and stress free. I personally would talk to the vet and would not bundle her up to drive her there, it will be too much. The last think that you want is for her to use up valuable energy resources getting upset about a trip to the vets. It is a toss up as to which antibiotic is working really so which one you give may be academic. You don't cure myco you just get it under control. You never know how much improvement is down to drugs and how much is down to them fighting it off themselves with nursing support.

Re vaccinations, no all vaccines offer lifelong protection and animals do have to be in the peak of health and receive the correct dose at the right ages.

I really can appreciate how hard it is to give up on her :(

Well Julie the vet did phone and we told her exactly how Chloe is. Her advice was to carry on as we are and give her some Baytril to see if that is more helpful than the other med and that taking her back in could be too much stress for her. She has gone to bed with her friends tonight and we will see what happens tomorrow I guess :?

Well she has survived the night. OH and I were in the run earlier giving her some sugar water and nutridrops. Hard to know how she is doing, she didn't want to come out of the Cube but eventually she did and her eyes seem a lot better, however she is very slow and it wasn't hard to catch her. Despite not wanting to have to have her PTS we have decided that if she takes a turn for the worse then we are sadly going to have to as we are running out of options. OH is at work till 2pm, so will see how she is when he gets home. It's our granddaughter's 4th Birthday today and she loves our girls, so she will be here this afternoon and don't want to upset her on her Birthday. She still doesn't know about our Favorelle, who was her favourite girl. She still talks about Mia our ex batt that we lost at Easter as she was her favourite girl before we lost her :?

I clicked on this thread with great trepidation this morning :anxious: Good to hear that she is no worse. Do you have any electrolytes for her? Critical care, Avian Electrolytes. Lectade or even Dioralyte (human version) or Complan. Syringing small amounts of that will ensure a sustainable balance of essentials.

I clicked on this thread with great trepidation this morning :anxious: Good to hear that she is no worse. Do you have any electrolytes for her? Critical care, Avian Electrolytes. Lectade or even Dioralyte (human version) or Complan. Syringing small amounts of that will ensure a sustainable balance of essentials.

No don't have any of those but will phone OH at work and ask him to pop to the local pharmacy for some Dioralyte, thanks for all the advice and help.

She has jumped onto the perch in the run, which I am hoping is a good sign. However well aware of how easily they can go downhill too, so just taking it literally hour by hour.