Mercedes55

One day hen sick *Update ?Fowl Coryza/ Myco*

I am checking on her about every half hour, despite the rain.

Just went down there and she was standing next to the others who all legged it out the back when I got down there. She very slowly followed them, but she did follow them and both her eyes are open. However when I looked our Lavender Araucana was sitting under the Cube with one eye closed. I can't believe yet another is having a setback. Will give her some Baytril later. She had her last dose of antibiotics on Wednesday and had seemed fine. I just don't understand this illness, why do they seem to recover but then go backwards :?:

We do intend having a good clean out over the weekend and getting rid of all the rapport, cleaning down the slabs and putting Stalosan F down and fresh rapport and also giving the Eglu and Cube a thorough clean. I haven't let any of the girls into the middle run where the sick girl had been during the daytime just in case there was anything on the floor from her that they might ingest, so really struggling with working out what on earth is happening :?

I don't know Lyn, possibly a secondary infection? :?

Just treat the symptoms and continue with the antibs. If the vet is prepared to inject them with Tylan then that has a very good response, better than giving it orally.

A good clean out will help, and will make you feel better too :) but the bacteria is very tenacious. Use something like Virkon or Viratec to clean the feeders and drinkers, as it will help.

It makes me so angry that someone could consider breeding from infected stock, but keep them calm and unstressed as it will help your birds.

Well some had an injection of Marbocyl last Saturday and the ex batts had the same on the Sunday. We still have some of the Marbocyl but have now started giving them Baytril. Poor things won't know whether they are coming or going with all these meds.

We would start on cleaning out the Cube and run today but it's so wet out there and I think the girls are going to have to be out in the garden when we do the cleaning so they aren't stressed by it all. Don't have any Virkron or Viratec but I could put them in a hot wash in the dishwasher perhaps? I know some people do put their in their dishwasher and I have to say I do use my dishwasher for dishes, but if it would clean them better then I will do that. I do have some Milton fluid, would that be okay to clean them with if the dishwasher isn't a viable option?

Well another new day and Chloe is still with us. She was slow in coming out the Cube but she did come out on her own and she actually ate some food, although she is definitely not right, but every day that she seems to be a tiny bit better we are optimistic about her. Someone is lending us a jet wash today so we are hoping we can clean the whole run, Cube and Eglu out and get rid of any remaining bacteria and germs that might be lingering around. The vet's is open all over the Bank Holiday weekend if we need them, which is good.

Well we are still cleaning, have done the ex batts and their Eglu and are now cleaning the Cube and the other part of the WIR. The girls are in the run that used to be a lovely herbaceous border, but is now just dirt with a few roots left from the shrubs they have demolished. However Chloe is out there with the others, so here she is today :)

th_video-2011-08-27-12-56-46.jpg

After 6hrs of cleaning OH finally finished cleaning out the WIR, we now have over 20 bags of rapport bagged up from empyting out the run :shock:

Our Cream Legbar seems to be improving all the time, but we are still giving her and our Lavender Araucana some Baytril as they aren't totally back to normal. Not really sure how long we should carry on giving it to them :?:

Well they all seem fine still, not sure when we will know when they are over this totally. Keep trying to take a picture or video of Chloe but she's very scatty and as soon as she sees people she runs off.

I am putting avian electrolytes in their water, courtesy of a very lovely person on here who sent some to me, and also some lifeguard tonic too :D

Great news, when they appear well, they are fine if you see what I mean. They will always have it but it will remain 'dormant' once they have fought off this bout. It may or may not rear it's ugly head in times of stress or when they are laid low with something else. All credit to you for all of your hard work and determination :clap:

good news, our chooks had suspect Myco on the 28 th July, they were treated with Denagard and all recovered but had a relapse on the 17th August and had a longer Denagard treatment, again they all recovered, but now my Bluebell has a runny nose this evening - could it be back again so soon????? please not