UKMARCH

Any ideas for sewing Christmas gifts?

Hi, I have just got a new sewing machine after the one I inherited from my mum gave up the ghost. I thought I could try making some gifts, any ideas for something fairly easy I've not done a huge deal and it needs to be simplish. I see owls are in this season and very cute perhaps I could do some with Christmas fabric. I did make my hounds some Santa outfits last year and I may make them some new bed covers from fleece as I always seem to get them a new bed around Christmas.

Edited by Guest

I'm planning (famous last words, I will still be planning them the night before they are due!) to do shoe bags for my friends this year. Intended for packing shoes in when you're going away, but drawstring bags are useful for all sorts of things, and in fact I will probably use these for wrapping some other presents in. The Cath Kidston 'Sew' book, which I was given last year, has loads of projects from tablecloths to bags to jewellery rolls, padded hangers etc.

The other thing I'm going to make is some bunting, that's really easy. My niece makes cupcakes and in the summer she occasionally has a stall at the local fair, and I thought this would be good for decoration, I've got some lovely pink and blue flowery fabric, and some with cupcakes on.

What sort of sewing machine have you got? I'm still using a 100-year old Frister & Rossman hand machine that belonged to my grandmother, I've never had an electric machine, but I have hinted heavily that I'd like a small John Lewis one for my birthday, so I'm holding off the projects for another few weeks! :D

Ha Ha sometimes crazy but funnily enough as they don't have a layer of underfur and they wear coats in the winter they don't even realise they're being dressed up and carry on as normal, trying to get them to keep on reindeer antlers though is another matter! :lol:

Good ideas Olly last year I did a couple of small bags to put some personalised baubles in that I got to send to Austrialia I could try some bigger ones. I got my sewing machine from John Lewis as I had been saving vouchers from b'days and Christmas to get a speaker for my iphone but decided to get a replacement machine instead as I got some material in the sale after last Christmas to make some bedroom curtains. I have never made curtains so should be a challenge. Lets hope I haven't gone off the pattern by the time I do them. My machine is a sort of computerised one Janome DC3050, it was recommended and my ED uses a similar one at school so she is keen to use it too and reckons she will be able to do it better than me!! It has a drop in bobbin with clear lid and looks quite simple to use. I just need some inspiration and to unpack it from the box now.

Thanks Plum the ideas look great I would quite like to try a messenger bag but looks a bit tricky. I know a friend who likes wine so the Cosy Wine Koozie would be ideal. I have seen some really cute Michael Miller Christmas Owl fabric and some Alexander Henry jungle which I like.

Thanks, the dogs are very cute but I'm biased! They definitely have very soulful eyes the white/brown one has particularly dark eyes you can't make out her pupils at all. I thought the snowy photos might make a good photo for Christmas cards. I bet Willow is also looking forward to Christmas and getting her pressie I always wonder whether the dogs will have gone down their stockings before the morning but so far so good!

Great idea Christian I have made some little owls which will be ideal I'm going to go down my craft box I think I've got some lavender in there. Today I made a needle case to go in the Link Romania Christmas shoebox appeal as part of a sewing kit. Just putting it together makes me really appreciate what we have and watching the videos of the 2010 appeal recipients makes me glad I've been collecting bits to fill it I even managed to find some Christmas paper from last year!