austele_1

Bit of advice needed...

Hi everyone

Need a bit of help if possible, I have 3 pekin bantams. 2 hens and one cockerel. Discovered a large lump on my cockerel yesterday and after taking him to the vet today have found he has 2 tumours! :cry: The vet never said if they were cancerous but seeing as she let me have a free consultation I'm taking it as bad news.

The problem I'm facing is if my cockerel dies what do I do for the girls? They've grown up together and it's heartbreaking to know that there going to be split up. Never more than a metre apart. I do want more chickens but really stuck on what to do. Do I get a new cockerel and a new hen, or just two hens? Also if I get more and I get a cockerel do they need to be the same age as my hens? (There just over 2.) Also if I do get a hen and a cockerel would I need to separate them first and slowly move them together or because I have a cockerel would they be okay?

Sorry for all the questions, don't really know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Sorry to hear about your boy...

When the time comes, I think you'd be ok to just put a single cockerel in with your girls (subject to suitable quarantine periods), as long as he's mature. I moved my Poland bantam boy in with my big girls (when my pekin boys grew up and took a dislike to him!) and they didn't give him a second glance! I have a mixed flock of orps/brahma/vorwerk/hybrids/sussex etc). I think as long as the new boy isn't a baby then the girls will be fine for him to take the dominant position in the flock.