stevefitz5

Quail Setup

Hi,

I am really interested in getting some Quail and have been doing my research and thinking will get some in March April time when it’s a bit warmer hopefully :pray:.

My question / request is for some pictures of peoples setup as I would just like to see how much space people have given them and the way they keep them? Would be really grateful and any first time quail advice would be great. I have chickens but think quail maybe a totally different experience.

Thanks Steve

I have quail, 5 girls and 2 boys

They live in an indoor rabbit cage in a shed, they seem to be happy enough but are surprisingly messy chucking out the bedding and they poop an awful lot :shock:

I keep them in the shed so that I can use artificial light in the evenings to extend their day and hopefully get more eggs (they are POL now so should be laying soon)

Other people keep them in rabbit hutches with no problems

The best set up I have seen was a 6 x 3 aviary with a small wooden house and some branches/foilage for them to hide in, thats probably the ideal I guess

Quail introductions are a complete nightmare so I hatched and raised mine together to cut out the intros, as these die off I will let their group diminish and start a separate new group rather than integrate, they have been known to scalp and even kill newbies

Mine are in a large rabbit hutch in the chickens walk in run. They stay in there all the time as chickens and Quail don't mix.

They are easy to look after and make the sweetest noises. However as Tasha has said they can be nasty to one another and I had to move two white ones out as they had been scalped - they do recover from these horrendous injuries though.

Whatever you house them in just make sure they have plenty of hiding places. :)