karena Posted December 3, 2011 Share Posted December 3, 2011 One of my chooks is no more. --Warning a bit graphic below-- Found her this morning in the corner for the run. She had been attacked, was in a bit of a mess. Head missing I think, one foot bitten off, other damage to her body. Her damaged leg was poking through the run bars. She was right in the corner by the door and the end of the run had been all pulled forward and bent. Run was still intact. It's an Eglu run. She was got through the run, I'm 99% sure nothing had got into the run. Can anyone suggest what would have happened so I know what precautions I might need to take? Never seen any foxes (I know this doesn't mean there aren't any), but can't work out how they could get her through the bars anyway. Does anyone have an similar experience/ideas? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
superkitty Posted December 3, 2011 Share Posted December 3, 2011 So sorry to hear that Karena, must have been awful for you to find her. I've never had any experiences with foxes (so far) so can't really guess what happened - but I'd also be interested to see what people reply, because I also have an Eglu with run and if we go away for the weekend we leave the run shut and the pophole open (thinking they will be safe in the run). Sorry again for your loss Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
karena Posted December 3, 2011 Author Share Posted December 3, 2011 Thanks Kitty. Yes I tend to leave the pophole open. They tend to go to bed pretty early, so it can't have been that dark for her to still be in the run. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sjp Posted December 3, 2011 Share Posted December 3, 2011 sorry for your loss It does sound like a fox but it could be a mink or wessal attack they can get througk very small hole for their size personally I shut my lot up at night all year round Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted December 3, 2011 Share Posted December 3, 2011 What a shame. I'd put some smaller gauge wire/ weldmesh around the run for now, and maybe lock them in at night. Could have been a weasel, stoat or mink. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tweety Posted December 3, 2011 Share Posted December 3, 2011 So sorry to hear that, poor girl and what a horrible shock for you. I have heard of hens being attacked through the bars of the run, although it is hard to imagine how it happens. I think the most likely culprit is a fox - I doubt that anything smaller would have been able to move and bend the eglu run, and the head being bitten off is typical fox behaviour. I would beef up your security around the run, as the fox will be back - perhaps something heavy-duty over the run itself, to provide some extra protection, and keep your hens locked in the eglu overnight. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
karena Posted December 3, 2011 Author Share Posted December 3, 2011 The run was definitely bent. I had to push it back. I've been planning on getting a WIR for a while, just never got round to it. Was planing on going to look tomorrow. It was my fave chook too. She was always they perfect one, we always joked about perfect little Ava. The other two get up to all sorts of bullying antics but she always rose above it. And used to try and protect the others. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cheeky Chooky Posted December 3, 2011 Share Posted December 3, 2011 So sorry to read about poor little Ava...must have been so distressing to find her Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
surfer_chicken Posted December 3, 2011 Share Posted December 3, 2011 I imagine for the run to have been bent it would've had to have been a fox. As someone else said, putting some smaller mesh around the run will stop chickens poking limbs through the bars/foxes getting paws through the bars/weasels and stoats getting into the run. Closing the eglu door will only help at night so I suggest you try the mesh anyway, whatever it was knows where to look now and may come back for more. Sorry to hear about Ava, but at least the strength of the run saved the other girls Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
majuka Posted December 5, 2011 Share Posted December 5, 2011 Very sorry to hear this. Sleep tight little Ava. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...