regphenna Posted December 5, 2011 Share Posted December 5, 2011 Hi our school's biology department hatched 10 chicks last week which we have here on two webcams... http://www.prentonmoodle.co.uk/webcam/chicks.htm One of them has a large poo stuck to its bum which you may see on cam. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove it without hurting the chick? Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
regphenna Posted December 5, 2011 Author Share Posted December 5, 2011 Could anyone let me know how I can make a url clickable on the forum? Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chucky Mama Posted December 5, 2011 Share Posted December 5, 2011 To prevent spammers this option is not available to new member until they have posted a number of times. Here is your clickable link for forum members I can't actually see your chicks pooey bum on the link but you should be able to soak it off gently with a warm water bottom bath teasing the feathers and poo with your fingers . Make sure that you dry it well and keep it warm afterwards (you could carefully dry with a hairdryer) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted December 5, 2011 Share Posted December 5, 2011 You'll be able to post clickable links after you've made a few more posts on the forum - it's just an anti-spam measure Just carefully soak the poo off. Cross-posted CM Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
regphenna Posted December 5, 2011 Author Share Posted December 5, 2011 Thanks, I thought I'd posted links before. I have another profile that i share with my wife bit I couldn't remember the log in details so used this one. Thanks for converting the link for me chucky mama Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted December 5, 2011 Share Posted December 5, 2011 I thought I recognised your unusual last name Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
House MD 221B Posted December 5, 2011 Share Posted December 5, 2011 oh they are sooo cute! what a lovely link, thank you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted December 5, 2011 Share Posted December 5, 2011 I'd do as Chucky Mama suggests, and in addition, check on the chick several times a day to make sure the area is clean and free of poo, and that the chick is eating and drinking. I was watching it a few minutes ago and it seemed less active than the others, and neither ate nor drank whilst I was watching. There is a condition called pasted vent that might be worth bearing in mind. Who is the lucky individual who will be taking them home for the Christmas hols? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted December 5, 2011 Share Posted December 5, 2011 Sterling advice from Egluntyne, make sure that it gets enough water too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
regphenna Posted December 5, 2011 Author Share Posted December 5, 2011 Thanks for all the great advice. I shall nip down to them soon and check up on the little fella/girl. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted December 5, 2011 Share Posted December 5, 2011 I think I could watch that all day Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
surfer_chicken Posted December 5, 2011 Share Posted December 5, 2011 Awww! I was just watching it now, and all the chicks were asleep bar one. That one jumped off the food bowl over the others, waking them all up What breed are they? Edit: Now one's dust bathing in the food bowl Got to agree- I could watch this all day Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chick wiggle Posted December 5, 2011 Share Posted December 5, 2011 Awwww how adorable! i too could watch it all day Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
hilda-and-evadne Posted December 5, 2011 Share Posted December 5, 2011 Awwww how adorable! i too could watch it all day Yes, I could watch them all day. What a lovely idea, the web cam is. Might try to do the same with the next lot of eggs I hatch, in the spring. My RIR chicks used to make a racket until late evening, chasing each other and jumping off and onto the brooder but of course they stopped when I went in to look at them. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
surfer_chicken Posted December 6, 2011 Share Posted December 6, 2011 Just wanted to let you know the top one seems to have frozen/stopped. The bottom one still works for me though How long will the the webcam be up for? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted December 7, 2011 Share Posted December 7, 2011 they seem to have grown since yesterday. How's the chick with the pasted vent? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lewis Posted December 7, 2011 Share Posted December 7, 2011 Cute I think pasted vent can be caused by feeding them cold water? Sure I read that somewhere, I always make sure I give mine room temp water ... has always worked apart from at school when someone else gave them cold water from the tap :lol You can soak it and pull it off, be careful 'cos you can end up giving them a bit of a wax! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...