Henergy

Will they get cold ?

Its my first winter with chickens & I have to admit I'm feeling a bit guilty tonight about them being out in the cold !

I know the cube is meant to be insulated but the ventilation holes worry me.

The 4 of them love to cuddle up together in the nest box & up till now I usually turf them out last thing so that they don't poop in the nest. But in order to keep warm, should I leave them in the nest box or will they be just as warm on the roosting bars ? I guess if there are lots of them then they'd be snug there but its a large area for 4 !

They will be fine. Remember, chickens in the wild roost in trees - a double-insulated Eglu or Cube is sheer luxury! they're also (when not moulting! :lol:) wearing the equivalent of a winter tog duvet. I never close the door on my Eglu, and they survived last winter. Being too hot would be much worse for them, the ventilation is really important.

I too was feeling very sorry for my girls on Sunday, Hailstorms, wind and rain, they have shelter in the run but not in their "paddock" (Omlet netted area).

There was me, freezing, moving perches food and water containers under the shelter, and there was the girls playing out in the paddock without a care in the world :roll:

A great question Henergy as there must be quite a few of us just about to go into our first winter. I too were concerned when I heard the hail beating against the bedroom window in the early hours of this morning and was going to ask if the was a chicken house heater on the market. I wont be asking that now :D

Not getting home until the girls have gone to bed and having to put my hand in the nest box to collect any eggies I can assure you that they build up lots of heat in the eglu/cube to the point that they are even a little bit sweaty in there :shock:

Hope this puts your mind at ease, it certainly did mine :lol: