Chucky Mama Posted December 9, 2011 Share Posted December 9, 2011 I read This story today (upsetting) and thought it was important to post this information to hopefully raise awareness. For those that don't want to read the article it is about Harry a five year old boy who was crushed to death by his mothers car when it rolled down hill despite the handbrake being on. This is the second person that I have heard of being killed by a car rolling with the handbrake on. The other person was an elderly gentleman, the car owner is totally devastated . I was completely unaware that this can happen as the brakes cool. Here is a quote from the newspaper article: 'It seems the car crept backwards as the discs were cooling. It was an appalling accident. 'Lots of people aren’t aware that this can happen and it is something which needs to be better publicised.' Speaking after the inquest, Harry’s father Christian said: 'I was not aware of parking in first gear, and its a very high price to pay to find that out......'This is because when the vehicle is parked when the rear brakes are still hot as they cool down it can cause the disk brakes to slip. I for one shall be telling as many people as possible to make sure that they leave their cars in gear when parking on an incline. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted December 9, 2011 Share Posted December 9, 2011 How unimaginably upsetting, that poor poor family. I can't even begin to think how devastated they must be. I do sometimes leave my car in gear when parked on a hill (a habit from when I had my first car whose brakes were less than reliable) but don't always remember to do so. However I will take extra care from now on - my car is replaceable, but people are not Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
surfer_chicken Posted December 9, 2011 Share Posted December 9, 2011 I only learnt to drive this year and I was taught to put the car in neutral when I parked. Thank you for sharing, I will pass it on to my friends as well. My thoughts go to the family, especially the little lad, this time of year. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted December 9, 2011 Share Posted December 9, 2011 That's so sad - thank you for passing this on. I didn't know that could happen, but I always leave my car in gear - partly force of habit, as said above, from an old car that wasn't very good. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sadietoo Posted December 9, 2011 Share Posted December 9, 2011 Modern cars have generally so much better brakes but I'm guessing that those of us learned to drive on less reliable models in the 70's (and before)probably leave their cars in first gear (or reverse if you are pointing uphill) when on an incline as second nature..however I will certainly mention this to DD who I am almost certain would not do this. Thank you for posting.x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Griffin Posted December 9, 2011 Share Posted December 9, 2011 I learnt to drive about ten years ago and was always taught then to leave the car in gear when parked. I hadn't realised others didn't do it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sammiboo Posted December 10, 2011 Share Posted December 10, 2011 I learnt to drive ten years ago and wasn't told to leave in gear! I do cos i lived with my parents which was ontop on 3 hills to get to the house! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Angie Posted December 10, 2011 Share Posted December 10, 2011 I learnt to drive many many years ago and you were taught to leave the car with hand brake on . Army told me to leave it parked in gear . DD's were taught by myself to drive and they leave the car in gear , ( but told for test to leave with handbrake on only.) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
squiffs Posted December 10, 2011 Share Posted December 10, 2011 Yeah, my mum and nana's drive is a steep downward slope to the garage so we always put the cars in reverse when we drive onto it. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted December 10, 2011 Share Posted December 10, 2011 That is such a sad story . We always leave our car in gear (without the handbrake) as the brake seizes up if we leave it on for any length of time . The garage has failed to find out why . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted December 10, 2011 Share Posted December 10, 2011 Another one who always leaves the car in gear on an incline - comes from when I had an old car when I lived on a hill in London - brakes were rubbish and I often had to bump start it, so I parked facing down the hill to get a rolling start Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...