Nicola O

Computer help needed

I know some of you are quite computer savvy....

I've just broken Mum & Dads laptop, Mum had it on her lap, plugged in across the room and I tripped over the lead and the laptop fell on the floor with a crash. No marks on it and nothing obviously broken but it just wont work. The screen had frozen and it wouldn't respond, so I switched it off and back on again and now it just comes up with a black screen that says :-

Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v2.1.0

Copyrught © 2000-2006 Broadcom Corporation

Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

All rights reserved.

PXE-E61 : Media Test failure, check cable

PXE-M0F : Exiting broadcom PXE ROM.

We have fiddled with the cable and taken the cable out and tried switching it on whilst not being plugged in. Have tried 'Ctrl + Alt + Delete' trick, tried pressing the F2 (set up) key as it comes on, but it will not move on from this screen.

Any ideas ?? or have I totally killed it ?? If anyone has any ideas we can try please explain them in words of one syllable as we are both computer numptes. Or, I may be buying them a new lap-top as a late Xmas present :( .

Nicola

Thanks for the replies.

I pressed F12 when it was trying to start up and went into 'diagnostics' and it would appear that the Hard Drive has become disconected. as it said 'no drive detected'.

Fred, funnily enough I had said 'let's go to PC World tomorrow' :lol: - perhaps not now. M & D said they know a computer chappie who always fixes/upgrades etc for them so they will get him to look at it when they are back home in a few days. Hope it isn't too expensive as I'll obviously be paying the bill.

Nicola.

Hope you can get it sorted.

I agree with trying somewhere other than PC World. My personal experience when my laptop broke was that they wanted me to spend loads of money and wouldn't guarantee they could fix it. My boyfriend, who is IT savvy, went on line and fixed it for me. Surely an expert at PC World should have been able to do the same?