stehaggan Posted December 29, 2011 Share Posted December 29, 2011 We hatched her in march - she has never laid an egg but didn't seem to be bound. She looked so healthy and playful all the time and we have just been to see them and there she was no idea why really maybe she was egg bound I don't know no mites or anything and not skinny grrr Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
majuka Posted December 29, 2011 Share Posted December 29, 2011 Very sorry for your loss A bit of a shock for you but better for her than if she had been suffering an illness. I think I have read threads on here where seemingly healthy birds have just died - a heart attack maybe? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted December 29, 2011 Share Posted December 29, 2011 So sorry to hear about your Welsummer, what a shock for you. Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted December 29, 2011 Share Posted December 29, 2011 So sorry Ste Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sparkysmum Posted December 29, 2011 Share Posted December 29, 2011 So sorry to hear this, what a shock it must have been. Alli x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mum Posted December 30, 2011 Share Posted December 30, 2011 So sorry Chickens are fragile things and yes, sometimes they just die and the reason isn't obvious. Its the one downside of chicken keeping that upsets me the most. Then, I say to myself: they all die "one" day = a day of sadness vs the many days they do give of joy and laughter. Small compensation, I know, but I do try to balance my sadness with as positive a view as I can manage. ((hugs)) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cranberry Posted December 30, 2011 Share Posted December 30, 2011 Have you done a post mot-um? I lost a spring hatched girl last month. Like yours she had seemed fine and was eating. She was badly egg bound. At least now I know. Sorry for your loss. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
stehaggan Posted December 30, 2011 Author Share Posted December 30, 2011 Thanks guys.. no we didnt do a post mortem It isnt nice when they die but like you said i just have to think about the good life we give them. For her in particular she is the only one that we had that we hatched ourself so i suppose we can feel good that we gave her a life at all really as if we hadnt hatched her she wouldnt have been here :-S RIP ambrosia x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted December 30, 2011 Share Posted December 30, 2011 You know what? I think it is nice if they just drop dead without being seemingly ill... It is really sad however they go But I should think I would prefer to just "go", rather than be ill first.. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
bigmommasally Posted December 30, 2011 Share Posted December 30, 2011 So sorry for your loss. I think our little girls are masters at hiding their illnesses from us Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...