chelsea Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 All my purebreeds are laying every day which is very odd . Normally they are broody all summer and then have an extended holiday from October to March. I have never known a Winter like it in 6 years of keeping hens. Is this normal? Anyone else getting this? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 Nope! I don't have pure breeds, but even my hybrids have gone on strike - two gingernuts who are under a year old are laying, but all the others are off at the moment. Reckon it's the mild weather? I thought it was usually to do with light levels though. Maybe you're just lucky, the egg-skelter was down to zero after Christmas baking, and I'm pleased to see it slowly refilling. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mum Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 Show off! I have pure breeds and I am still waiting ... and waiting ... and waiting Well done, Chelsea, good for your girls! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
poppy ben grace Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 My hybrids are laying really well too bless them. I keep telling them to take a break but they wont listen! I think its the unusually mild weather we have had, hopefully it will turn colder soon so they can have a rest. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mollyripkim Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 I'm getting two or three eggs a day from my seven girls so well done them! Cilla is broody again though, I think it must be the warmer weather. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sparkysmum Posted January 5, 2012 Share Posted January 5, 2012 In sparkyshouse we have hens:8, eggs:0 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chelsea Posted January 6, 2012 Author Share Posted January 6, 2012 Oh, Sparkysmum - do you want my girls to come and give your girls a pep talk? Show them how it's done?! I think you are all right - it's the mild weather. Oh well, I best make the most of it then. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
scubababe Posted January 6, 2012 Share Posted January 6, 2012 I have about 3 eggs a week from 3 ladies. You're making me chelsea Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Heidi-Hi Posted January 6, 2012 Share Posted January 6, 2012 Mine has all of a sudden come back into lay too. Averaging 5 or 6 eggs a day, which is great! I was beginning to think that I'm wasting my money feeding them expensive Garvo layers while they are not laying, but they seem to have come back into action. Mind you, I've still got the other 7 not laying and stuffing themselves on the layers pellets!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
counturchickens Posted January 8, 2012 Share Posted January 8, 2012 We are getting 2 eggs a day from our 4 ex batts, one of whom has been 'out' since may 2010! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ain't Nobody Here Posted January 8, 2012 Share Posted January 8, 2012 I've not noticed any difference from summertime (although I do only have hybrids) - 4 hens, 2 eggs a day regular as clockwork. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Henergy Posted January 9, 2012 Share Posted January 9, 2012 4 hens - 4 eggs per day all winter !!! We're a little egg bound here - our neighbours are loving it !!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LunaKiw1 Posted January 15, 2012 Share Posted January 15, 2012 Our 3 hybrids are all in their first winter and laying well. Many days we get eggs from each of the three but every few days one has a day off so probably averaging 15-18 per week still. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
meezers Posted January 16, 2012 Share Posted January 16, 2012 Yep, I've got 5 pure breds laying and a full egg skelter. Wasn't expecting this rate of production until March Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...