LolaLayla

Bad back - fed up!

My OH has had a bad back for 20 years on and off and as "boys" do he thinks admitting he is in pain is an admission of weakness. :roll: After he had had 3 or 4 relapses in as many months that left my otherwise very fit and healthy 50+ OH in bed, letting me feed him painkillers and refilling the hot water bottles, I finally persuaded him to see a local chiropractor. He x-rayed him and took a lot of time explaining things to us before he even touched my OH. Slowly over 4 weeks he did his stuff and each time my OH went he gave him another excercise to do. Now My OH's back is much better but he does a routine of about 5-10 minutes of core excercises and stretches every morning and night. Don't despair. He is now back cycling , playing golf and ski-ing. He has admitted now that perhaps a golf cart is a better idea than a bad back so he has modified his behaviour slightly to spare his back. I am a nurse and thought my OH had a prolapsed disc or something worse but it seems it really was just muscular. The only problem he has now is a stiff neck from breaking it ski-ing 5 years ago and even this is better now with some excercises. It was expensive but what price do you put on your health? My advice would be to take the painkillers as prescribed, Look after yourself and give yourself permission to take time to heal and get better. Don't feel you have to get "everything" done. If your back hurts stop and rest. Get a hot water bottle and sit down and get comfortable. The dusting etc can wait until another time. Be kind to yourself (and a bit selfish if others are not as sympathetic!) and I hope you get better soon. :)

You really have my sympathy. I hope you get an answer and the right treatment soon.

I fractured my spine 12years ago in an accident at home but the worst pain came from a trapped nerve in the shoulder which felt like a ripping sensation down my arm when I attended to personal hygiene.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone

I have to get an MRI scan next week :D Saw a different dr and he said not to get too despondent because I am seeing no improvement yet, as is still early days. Once he gets to see the scan he will know if the nerve is still trapped or just 'angry' because it had been. I still am in pain and taking a mix of tablets. I have been told to try to keep walking and plan to go to a craft fair soon. DD may end up carrying me :lol: Actually it is sitting or squatting that causes most problems.

I had a prolapsed disc in October 2010 that wasn't diagnosed until January 2011. Sitting was absolute agony and I spent most of Christmas 2010 lying on the floor on my stomach as it was the only way I could get relief.

When I had my MRI in Jan 11 they also found a large dermoid cyst on my ovary and, although I was being scheduled for a back operation, this took precedence and I had to choose which operation to have. I decided to have the cyst removed as this was considered more of a danger.

After that op the sciatica was terrible due to the position they put me in but I decided I would look at other options for my back rather than having another operation.

Just over 1 year on I can't believe the difference. In April I started Pilates with a very small class and an instructor that was really skilled in helping health problems. I haven't taken any pain killers for nearly a year, I'm now able to do most things that I had to stop - particularly gardening which I hated not being able to do last year, I've even started to do a bit of light digging as I'm aware of exactly when it's too much for my back.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is there is light at the end of the tunnel, with the support of the right health care you should get a diagnosis that will help everything move on.

I wish you all the best and hope that you are soon over the worst.

Yes getting a date is good :D Thanks for listening to the moaning. Even I am getting fed up hearing myself :roll: Now when people ask how I am, I just say fine.

Eggasperated - what a time you had :shock: It does give me hope that I will be able to get out into the garden again. I am still planning to grow some things to plant this year. Worst case, I will need to ask OH to do more in the garden, which is usually totally my area :lol:

Well did some gardening yesterday with OH - big mistake! I was trying to get some compost out the bin and think I did more damage to the nerve as although it was fine at the time later my leg was agony :( On the plus side I had the MRI scan today. It was quite claustrophobic :shock: However I thought about the girls and that kept me sane :lol: