cloud

Squatting

How long between a hen showing squatting behaviour and laying her first egg?

One of girl, Bettie Blue, has been squatting when we go to stroke her today for the first time. I think I've read someplace that it will be about 10 days from now, is that right? How consistent is this. Should we be making her a cosy nest in expectation?

I've been trying to get the others to squat. None of the other are playing that game :talk2hand: I'm not surprised Bettie is first as she's has the reddest face bay far. The rest just aren't ready.

Could be any time now - it might be 10 days, might be less.

When I got my first hens, it felt as if I'd waited forever for them to lay - I got anxious texts from friends for the first few days, and then it became a subject of huge amusement - what, still no eggs? I can still remember the thrill of finding that first one, though; and five years on, it is still a thrill. There's nothing like a perfect, smooth, new egg ,and if you find a warm new-laid one, you have to cup it in your hands and hold it against your cheek for a moment. Or maybe that's just me! :lol:

I can see my self checking for eggs at every opportunity. She was in the nestbox this evening, but given the amount of poo normally in the nest box in the morning I think they have all been in there at some time over the last few weeks (possibly all at the same time). They use it less now it warming up but they do seem to like it.

I'm wondering if I should put some straw in the nestbox. Currently it has few handfuls of Easichick. We're were planning in call in on the Omlet shop tomorrow and I am full prepared to buy what ever's needed to make them comfortable - I just ask that they can lay me an egg from time to time.

There's nothing like a perfect, smooth, new egg ,and if you find a warm new-laid one, you have to cup it in your hands and hold it against your cheek for a moment. Or maybe that's just me! :lol:

Definitely not just you Olly, I do exactly the same :D

Keep us updated, Cloud.

me to its so eggciting getting that 1st new egg. still waiting for my hybrid ranger to lay had her 9days. columbine has laid me a lovely !eggblue! 7days out of 9. my marran bantams one old dosent lay but looks like she could and her daughter.she lays 3 eggs then has two days off. just started to let them free range.i let them out about 2pm for a couple of hours. last night they put themselves to bed, which was good as night before was trying to round them up with 4 yr old son!!!

The first egg and every other one is still for me a thrill .I never cease to be amazed at them :lol: .I have one girl that is a bit eratic about laying so when she does lay a "proper egg" and not a softy , and more than one a fortnight :roll: ,it is even better.

How ever did I ever survive so long with out my girls or their eggs :?:

We have our first egg :dance::dance::dance:

We think it was Bettie Blue, as she's the only one squatting and OH found it in the side of the nestbox that betty has been favouring. If we are right then that means its been only three days between us first noticing Bettie's squatting behaviour and her giving us our first egg.