AJuff

Books that move you

I've sat and read most of the day . . so i could finish The Girl in the Red Coat by Roma Ligocka. It has moved me to tears. The only other book I've read that moved me was Blackbird - Childhood Lost by Jennifer Lauck. I think this has something to do with not knowing my mother and mourning the loss of not ever knowing her.

What books have moved you?

A town like Alice, by Neville Shute.

Wont watch the film, as I;ve built my own pictures

Same for Bridges of Madison County.

And a little known book called Walking Ollie.

I was in floods. Read it before getting our own dog, and it really made me realise how very fragile dogs are, in all ways.

Oh, I'm often moved to tears by books - the first one I can remember was 'Black Beauty'!

I don't really enjoy 'mis lit' books though - you know, stories about the author's abusive upbringing and hard times. I don't know why but it doesn't make the same impact on me as a really good novel, that can make you reflect on the issues it covers.

I'd nominate 'To Kill a Mockingbird' in this category.

I bawled my eyes out when I read 'The Road' then I watched the film and nearly gave up on life!!! ooh lots of others..'The shadow of the wind' that really touched me-just becuase I was able to picture everything that was going on. 'The Winter Ghosts' again, had great imagery. 'Birdsong' made me cry and I love love love 'the red tent' that moved me because it was about women and how strong they really are.

Ooh and 'the beach' by Neville Shute-just so sad

What a wimp I am!

Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir - it is a novel based around the life of Lady Jane Grey (historically factual but dialogue etc obviously fictional!)

Absolutely brilliant book and so well written that I was begging for her not to be beheaded at the end. The final pages were so moving they made me cry.

Also the memoirs of Christabel Bielenberg - The Past is Myself. Christabel was an Englishwoman who married a German Lawyer before the war and she lived through the war in Germany as a German citizen. It is one of the few books I have kept and I re-read it every few years.