Mr Rhode Island Red

What to use to cover up mud patch outside hen house pop hole

A rather muddy quagmire has developed outside the pop hole of my hen house. It never seems to dry up or harden at all, and is causing the hens, and their house to become dirty. It would be logical to just relocate the house, but with my set up is done, that is just virtually impossible.

I was considering bark at first, but then I thought the hens would just scratch and scatter it all over the place.

Then I considered largish pebbles...they can't really be kicked around by the hens and they won't just become saturated and soggy.

What do you think?

Mr RIR GNR

I have a Cube,& have put a large sawn off log just at the bottom of their ladder,which they hop on to before moving on to the ladder.

Maybe something similar might help,if you have a Cube too,or a house which is raised up?

If not,how about one of those rectangular plastic heavy duty door mats,which are sort of open weave & allow you to s"Ooops, word censored!"e the mud off of your shoes......that way the air will still get to the soil below & hopefully help it to recover,plus you can squish is right down into the patch so the hens dot move it about.

I probably haven't described it very well :roll:

Something like this:

498929_ce5f473e61dcb810ae1bf863f5148576.jpg

How big is the 'mud bath'?!

Mine have their ramp resting onto an old tyre which is full of sand / diatom etc, they use it as their dust bath (which obviously spreads the sand a little further but that's only because i have it so full!) but they' don't seem to have a mud problem, despite my garden having rubbish drainage. It also has the added bonus of the quick wash before bed so they go to bed with a nice sprinkling of diatom :D

If it becomes smelly in the muddy area you can use a disinfectant for the ground... We use POULTRY CARE- it is a dry powder disinfectant and kills bacteria like - E Coli, Salmonella ever Bird flu virus... we then cover over with bark chippings... to improve drainage we put a fork down into the wet area to break through the hard pan that develops and then wriggle the fork lots to create large holes and then try and fill with some sand or grit etc...

Hope this helps.

Bev