A chickychickychick-ENN!!

Ex-batts need rehoming this weekend

I've had a tip off that 2,000 ex-farm layers are going to be slaughtered this weekend if homes can't be found for them. They are described as young and still having laying life left in them. A lady called Sue is co-ordinating rescue on 07878932977. The farm address is Freechooks Farm, Lane Road, Chapel, Essex CO6 2BP for collection. She requested the message be shared as widely as possible to try to save as many hens as possible. If you would like to help, give her a call?

Hi am new to this forum and just noticed this post after googling Freechooks Farm. Went there yesterday and took 9 hens. There was quite a queue so hopefully most will have been rehomed by today.

I got 6 ex batts last year but sadly only have two left as the other four died. I thought as this was a free range farm conditions would be better and the hens would be in better condition but the smell was awful and the chickens dont look too good in fact one of them has had to be taken inside and is prob on her last legs. She was being pecked and harrassed by the others so thought it was better that I took her in.

I must say that when you think you are buying free range eggs the picture you think of is a lot different to the reality of seeing the state of these hens and the smelly barn where they came from. There was a field next to the barn and some chickens were in it but it didnt look like the ones I took had been out much.

Hi am new to this forum and just noticed this post after googling Freechooks Farm. Went there yesterday and took 9 hens. There was quite a queue so hopefully most will have been rehomed by today.

I got 6 ex batts last year but sadly only have two left as the other four died. I thought as this was a free range farm conditions would be better and the hens would be in better condition but the smell was awful and the chickens dont look too good in fact one of them has had to be taken inside and is prob on her last legs. She was being pecked and harrassed by the others so thought it was better that I took her in.

I must say that when you think you are buying free range eggs the picture you think of is a lot different to the reality of seeing the state of these hens and the smelly barn where they came from. There was a field next to the barn and some chickens were in it but it didnt look like the ones I took had been out much.

Well done. I was contacted via FB about this but was unable to take any as it was a bit to far away. :( Lets hope they all find new homes. Keep us posted of the poorley one.

Everything is fine now. I was at work 9 to 1 when I posted and read somewhere that if they draw blood they might peck her to death. I was in a right panic and dreaded what I might find when I got home but they must have sorted it cos when I got home and checked they were all friends and she seems to be one of the gang now, no pecking or fighting anymore. So pleased.