jasperaliceuk

The fitting of the Bumper bit

Against all my misgivings we have finally done the deed about 10 minutes ago. Rose was unceremoniously wrapped in a thick towel. My daughter did the evil deed, quite quickly too, but Rose managed to get it off. So we tried again, it was darker now so we were trying to find enough light and ended up taking her into the kitchen.

I thought maybe we hadn't got it far enough back in the nostril so Jess aimed for the furthest place. Once in it does look as if the prongs slide slightly forward. In retrospect Rose was well behaved - she didn't like it but once we had got the hang of it with me holding her beak open she sort of submitted (a word I hate in anything to do with animals!!)

I actually felt physically sick and stressed doing this to her. We tried to give her a mealworm (some compensation!) but she was too stressed to take it and I'm not sure she could fathom out how to, nor could I! I do hope she will be able to eat properly. I presume she will have to shovel food and I also presume it means she won't be able to free range properly, or will she?

We've left her in the Eglu for this evening - there was a bit of bashing about in the house trying to get it off - will check on her in a while in the hopes she has gone to sleep.

My next issue is that the Skyline is also feather pecking, to a lesser degree. It seems that a sunbathing chicken is too much of a temptation to her so she may be next in line - not to be looked forward to as she is a screamer!

Sue

I hated it to! I couldn't bring myself to use enough force!! Think it freaked me out more than her! In the end i got a nice fellow forum goer who lives down my road to come and give me a hand with the pliers.

It's horrid, i wish they didn't peck at each other. Attila had a beak ring on for about 3 weeks which meant that Tikka had some regrowth but in the last week she has knocked it off and the pecking has started again. :( I've ordered some proper bumpa bits now so will give those ago.

They should be able to eat and drink as normal. Hopefully your girl will learn to drop her habit soon!!!

:pray:

I hated it at first - especially when they start trying to scratch it off but they soon get used to the new way of eating and drinking and they really don't mind them at all. It's just us who are traumatised! Mine still like to free range and can still eat grass easily.

My first and second in command were bitted as the boss kept getting her right hand man to do the dirty work for her!

Yes,I have been there too.

I have one with a anti pecking ring fitted,which was fine (its much easier if you soak it in warm water first to soften it),but now her second in command has taken up the nasty habit too.

I tried to fit one one her at the weekend,but she has really odd slim slitted nostrils,& there was no way that a ring or bit could go in there :?:roll:

We put one on Bess, after trying the anti pecking spray and violet spray. She was the only one out of the 4 of them with a full set of knicker feathers - so we presumed she was the culprit - She's also the bottom of the pecking order!

Once on - it took about a day for her to get used to it, but she's now had it on for 2 weeks and seems quite unbothered by it now. Mary's feathers are starting to grow back, but my other two Ivy & Polly still seem to have the ready plucked plucked look. :shock: It seems I may still have to fit another bumper bit - but just not sure which chicken! Tricky!! :anxious:

Rose doesn't seem bothered by hers either. I thought that any pecking would hurt but it doesn't seem to and she is quite happily pecking corn from the ground. You'd think if they did hurt they would just mope.

Ace hasn't had another fitted yet - she got hers off overnight. Was too wet yesterday - will try again today.

I've seen Rose having a sly peck but nothing coming of it!

Sue

Just can't see how much further we can go. It is put in right at the back. We did it again about an hour and a half ago. It seems to need to settle. After a few head shakes and pokes it sort of slides forward in the nostril and then pokes out of her beak a bit more. She has such a long beak it was tucked inside and holding her beak open. If you look at the prongs they are slightly curved so maybe now they have more of a purchase. Maybe its all down to her particular anatomy!

Just checked her - still there.

Another thing I have done today is buy layers mash rather than pellets to see if that makes a difference. Don't think I can do any more to remedy this problem.

Sue

Not counting my chickens.....but its still in place!

I can see she is struggling a bit with eating - threw some mealworms in and she couldn't pick them up properly - she did get some though - I just felt a bit mean. Will be keeping a close eye on her tomorrow - as I've been doing my volunteering stint this pm and couldn't check her.

Sue

Touch wood, all seems to be well. The bumper bits are still in place and don't seem to be bothering the girls. I haven't seen any pecking although can't see a great sign of refeathering yet. The Bluebell is the worst plucked right now - with all this wind and rain she must be feeling a bit chilly! I've got them on the Amino plus stuff.

Sue