jasperaliceuk

The fitting of the Bumper bit

Ongoing report. Rose has kept her bit on. Ace's finally fell off and we fitted another which she got off within two days. I am trying yet another anti-peck spray alongside - the Biolink which doesn't stink and is clear - only downside is it has to be applied everyday for 7 days. Thankfully I've got the knack of this now. The girls seem to have become used to me catching them and I hold them low down sandwiched on my calf with one hand while I spray with the other. They seem far less stressed this way than me holding them high up.

Rose has finally got a taste of her own medicine and she has a small bald patch which I can see is growing so I'm hoping this antipeck is working. Gwen is the worst affected and she doesn't seem to improve much.

However, there is no chance I will be doing any pecking. I can taste it - it doesn't wash off your hands either - it must taste like that nail biting stuff I suspect. I even seem to manage to get the spray on my lips which is fairly foul.

Sue

I can taste it - it doesn't wash off your hands either - it must taste like that nail biting stuff I suspect. I even seem to manage to get the spray on my lips which is fairly foul.

Sue

Funnily enough it contains the same ingredient... Bittrex!

My advice to folks when talking about using that spray is as follows:

• Don't use on a windy day; you will be able to taste it for days
    Wear gloves or all your food will taste of it
    Don't apply it wearing clothes that you'd like to wear again, especially not your best work shirt!

Just an idea/suggestion to throw in to anyone still having baldness problems with bits on - please ałso spray anti-peck on to the pecked ones because a) the cleverest bullies can still pull feathers out with bits on although of course they are good for wound protection and b) sometimes the bald one is actually self-pulling due to stress induced by the bullying! We have only recently discovered this when we took our oven-ready to the vets. We were told that it's the same as us biting our nails or hitting the chocolate in times of stress! We cured her by putting a bit on her and spraying her regularly with anti-peck spray. It's a hard habit to break though because she still manages it sometimes even with the bit on.