Hi,

I'm a chicken novice, and I've finally managed to get a 2nd hand Eglu Classic from eBay and then, a 2m run that was advertised through Omlet Marketplace (so lucky, I'd been looking for ages).

I've scrubbed the Eglu top to bottom today using hot soapy water, let it dry in the sun then put it all back together. I'll sprinkle some Stalosan in it tomorrow, having read on loads of different forums that it's brilliant stuff...

What I was wondering is, do I need to scrub the run panels in the same way? They look clean enough, but as I'm getting some ex-batts hopefully at the end of this month, do the run panels need to be disinfected in any way before I connect it all up to the Eglu??

Thanks in anticipation of any advice... :)

Frankly, I wouldn't bother. The rain we've got now will wash everything away. It's worth covering the run though and then you can use something like aubiouse. In my experience, ex-bats are as tough as old boots. Their weakness is their egg tackle - from over use usually.

that's great, thanks!! Saves me a job!! I'll spend the time I would have spent cleaning the run constructing chicken wire protection for my herbs and veggie patches!!! Apparently I'll need it!!

The run I got came with a full length clear cover, a sunshade and a heavy duty cover too..!! :D I was so pleased!!

I'm anticipating having it with the full length clear cover on most of the time, with the sunshade should we ever get any this year. :roll:

I'm going to get some hardwood chippings and put them on some astroturf I got while bidding on a Doodlehouse on eBay, then let the hens out into the garden when I'm there to keep an eye on them.

I have a cat litter tray with some playsand & diatomaceous earth mixed for a dustbath while they're in the run, and there's a big scrubby patch underneath our trampoline for when they're out in the garden.

I've read so many books that my eyes are crossing and my brain is awash with all this advice and do's and don'ts - I just hope my hens, when I get them, will be happy with what I have to offer them...

Oh, and the Eglu is located with the roof facing south at approx 52 degrees latitude..!!! (Read it somewhere!) :lol:

XX