Jac and Rory

Feather loss, a b or c?

Fran has lost some feathers on her back at the base of her tail. The area is about the size of a 50p. Similar thing happened last year in late summer shortly before she started moulting. She doesn't appear to have lice and there's no broken skin. Could it be:

a feather pecking by top hen Marbles (not withnessed this); or

b a result of Marbles "riding" on Fran's back like a cockrel (seen this); or

c a misguided way for the flock to help me tell Fran apart fom Anna?

I've assumed it's "a" but don't want to continue stinking out the neighbourhood with anti pecking spray if it's not going to achieve anything! Could it be "b"?

It is a bit frustrating when hens loose feathers, and I'm sorry you have a hen doing just that but surely it is the result of her being tread by Marbles. Especially as it is something you have witnessed.

Regards

T Dan

Two of my girls, a gingernut ranger and a bluebell both seem to have "weak" feathers.

They have very poor feather growth at the base of their tails and have also managed to rub the feathers off the front of their necks straining through the mesh.

Chilli's feathers have actually bled, which I couldn't believe at first.

The other three girls have beautiful thick plumage, so can only assume that it isn't something I'm doing. Bluebell lost her tail feathers originally due to pecking. Chilli arrived with scruffy tail feathers that have never really grown back. I suppose she could have been pecked before she arrived with us.

The only reason I suspect that their feather growth seems to be weaker than the other two is that they have developed these bald patches on their necks from straining through the mesh. The other three do it too, but havent rubbed all their feathers away. They all eat, drink the same, have supplements and are regularly deloused.

There are no creepies, and they are pefectly healthy otherwise so I don't take much notice now. I am hoping when they have their first mould they all come back beautiful like the others, maybe they will not come back at all :anxious:

We will have to see