Yorkshire Pudding

Hedges - a question

Hi all

We are lucky to have a long back garden with a HUGE hedge all along one side and the far end. It is nine feet tall near the house, getting taller to the far end as the garden slopes downhill. At it's tallest it is around twelve feet. Behind the hedge is a single track access road leading to two bungalows, which are local authority owned. I've just had a letter from the L A requesting that we cut back the hedge on that side.

My question is this: we have no access at the rear of the garden, or any way through to reach the far side of the hedge. To reach it involves a good ten minute walk around the block. The boundary runs through the hedge so the far side is not on our property.

Who is responsible for maintaining the far side? Advice welcome!

Thanks all, very helpful - I knew I could ask Omlet!

It is a total pain in the neck but since we cannot reach the far side ourselves with our electric trimmer, I will have to call our tree surgeon Rob and ask him to do the job. His are petrol driven so no cables to stretch around the garden! I am loath to do it now though, as there are several nests in the hedge and still many chicks not flown. I dont want to disturb them :?

Thanks all, very helpful - I knew I could ask Omlet!

It is a total pain in the neck but since we cannot reach the far side ourselves with our electric trimmer, I will have to call our tree surgeon Rob and ask him to do the job. His are petrol driven so no cables to stretch around the garden! I am loath to do it now though, as there are several nests in the hedge and still many chicks not flown. I dont want to disturb them :?

Sure the council won't make you do it now if you tell them that.

We have a huge tree/hedge boundary, it straddles the official boundary like yours but we are responsible for both sides

I wouldnt trim a hedge or tree when birds are nesting though, speak to the LA, my guess is that they dont expect you to react immediately

any nests that are still been used are covered by the Countryside and wildlife act 1981 I think but you'll need to talk to you LA just to inform they that the hedge has birds nesting in them and that you will do any work once the nest have been vaccated otherwise the LA will step you the case and could send a legal letter

any nests that are still been used are covered by the Countryside and wildlife act 1981 I think but you'll need to talk to you LA just to inform they that the hedge has birds nesting in them and that you will do any work once the nest have been vaccated otherwise the LA will step you the case and could send a legal letter

Umm just a thought! If it's a boundary onto a road you will want it to be strong, have you thought about getting it layed if it's sutable that is? If you trim it with a hedgetrimmer all that will do is stimulate growth and you'll be paying to have it done again in no time!

Parts are privet and other parts leylandii which I don't think could be layed.

Luckily the road is only used to access the bungalows, and rarely by vehicles. It's a dense hedge, with chicken wire through its heart and impenetrable even to our cats and hens so reasonably secure

The irony is that we asked the LA a few years ago if we could buy the thirty square metres of unused grass and weeds on the side of it, remove our huge hedge and use it as a veg plot. They said no, and here we are with a monster hedge they don't like :roll: