Monty14

Lice eggs removal

Hi

Does anyone have ideas for removing lice eggs from feather shafts? My Araucana, Tilly, has loads of clumps of eggs and I've read that using everything from vaseline to Avon Skin so Soft and rubbing them to loosen will work. Others suggest plucking or trimming feathers which I feel is a last resort. She has been coated in Diatom for the last 2 weeks but I'm not sure this is entirely effective as she is still preening, scratching and has bare patches where she has pulled out feathers! A couple of hen friends have suggested using Beaphar Fly Spray for Rabbits which contains Permethrin to spray her with. Any thoughts welcome...

Not an experienced hen keeper yet, but when we first got out ex-batts, they were hoaching with lice. tried all the powders and sprays etc. Nothing worked. With the powders, the lice seemed to disappear for a few days but then the came back again. In the end we plucked the feathers that had eggs on the shaft. Not a popular move from the hens point of view but there are now no eggs. We then took a hen to the Vet and she advised us that she had a similar experiece and she used 'spot-on' treatment for fleas on cats - a drop on the neck, a drop between the wings and a drop above and below the vent. I did the rest of the hens myself. Worked a treat :dance: . That was 6 months ago and not a louse in site!! great to see them dust-bathing away now. It was apparently the only thing the Vet had found that worked also.

With my new hens they got a spot-on treatment too and i intend to use this every 6 months or so to keep the little beggars of my Chooks. Its breaking the cycle that is the problem.

Thanks for that, I heard Spot on was very effective although 'not licensed' for chooks. Tilly has plucked quite a few feathers out herself, but I will treat them all with the Spot on and prevent any further nasties hopefully.

Yup the spot on is great stuff. We applied it after having plucked the feathers. Im not sure how effective it is applying the 'spot-on' without plucking the feathers, i guess the lice will hatch and die pretty swiftly.

The actual plucking wasnt a pleasant experience, as long as the feathers are well established though and not new from a moult (and thus still got blood in) then the experience is pretty bloodless and they seemed to appreciate it afterwards.

Well we seemed to have cracked it now - no more crawlies and the egg clusters gone. Tilly has started shedding feathers around her vent/tail area and new ones are growing (she has done this on a constant basis since we got her 18 months ago) and has never laid an egg. Perhaps now she might honour me with an Araucana egg!

Ive been trawling all the comments on removal of lice from hens as I have a bantam cockerel who has a nasty infestation.

I could do with more info about the dosage strength where people have used spot on treatments ( cat treatments) .

We have used the diatomaceous earth, bathed the bird, and applied a few drops of Xeno -50 mini

( this contains 50 micrograms Ivermectin per pipette) . The instructions booklet

stated 1 pipette per 222g body weight . Our bird weighs 1.2kg but I hesitated to apply 5 pipettes to such a small bird
The lice have gone it would appear but there are lots of large clusters of eggs. Any advice anyone about dosages?

1 drop of what strength of which drug above and below the vent for example? Many thanks in advance.