Chortle Chook

What do people use for their ducks' swimming area?

I'm interested to know what people use for their ducks' swimming pools, where you got it from, and how easy your solution is to keep clean. I have a tin bath which I got from a garden place online. My ducks like it very much but I am finding it rather heavy to empty. I clean it out each evening and empty most of it out in bucket loads on the plants which is OK, and good for the plants, but the dirtiest water is always left in the bottom, so I have to tip the tin bath up over our drain, and am finding that a bit difficult and heavy (I'm quite a short person).

Here is what I have

Duckshavingasplash_28-05-12.jpg

I have two 'halves of an apple', rigid pink plastic, bought from Argos last summer, meant to be child's paddling pool or sand pit. I only use one half at a time. Quite easy to upend to get the last of the dirty water out, easy to clean with a little Ecover washing up liquid. I change the water every couple of days. They seem fine with it :)

I just looked on Argos website and they are still selling them, 'Chad Valley pink sand and water pit'. x

Glad they are enjoying it. :) It has worked very well for us. Easy to fill (doesn't use too much water which is something to consider), simple to upend to empty, easily cleaned, great for ducks to get in and out of with a stepping stone. They have such fun in ours. :D. I don't have a pic of our ducks in their pool :( Must sort one and post it :D

Gerald has 2 big red tub trugs as ponds but he never seems to use them anymore - he and Jemima used to sit in one each , maybe he thinks he's a chicken now!

They were £8 for the 2 from Costco and have lasted really well. Used to fill them up on the patio then tip out + change the water every week - if they're near the steps they're easier to tip out onto the lawn.

Have an old video of the 2 of them in the snow: