Donna C Posted August 18, 2012 Share Posted August 18, 2012 Having spent the day siliconing the wir ( great idea til girls pulled some up ) and sitting in sun watching my lovely but skinny ex batts dust bathing I thought I'd look on Facebook for exbatts keeping to share my enjoyment. BIG MISTAKE! I love KFC and McDonald's but if they use exbatts not any more . How do I find out if this is true? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted August 18, 2012 Share Posted August 18, 2012 I have no idea, but I'd have thought it unlikely. Like most restaurants, they probably use intensively farmed meat birds that have been slaughtered at the age of ten weeks or so, after suffering painful ammonia burns from the deep litter they live in. I can't see how else they can offer meals so cheaply. In all honesty, I can't see that ex-batts would be any worse - if they are going to be slaughtered, then the meat may as well be used for something rather than wasted. I've always assumed it went into pet foods/cheap chicken pies etc. I never eat chicken sandwiches or chicken products in restaurants unless it's specified as free range. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Donna C Posted August 18, 2012 Author Share Posted August 18, 2012 That's just what I'm going to do. I love meat but want it reared respectfully Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cyclonetog Posted August 19, 2012 Share Posted August 19, 2012 I haven't eaten KFC since watching the video linked below. I think if you are eating there, you should watch it. I think it's around 10 years old now but is still there so I guess little has changed. WARNING YOU MAY FIND THE VIDEO EXTREMELY UPSETTING http://www.kentuckyfriedcruelty.com Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LottyJ1 Posted August 19, 2012 Share Posted August 19, 2012 Oh my god that is shocking. I don't eat KFC due to it not being FR but that has made sure I never ever eat it. Is it any better now? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Space Chick Posted August 19, 2012 Share Posted August 19, 2012 Most intensively reared birds are only 42 days old when slaughtered, by which time they are barely able to stand due to the pain of the ammonia burns on their legs and the weight of their breasts (genetically designed for larger breast as this is commercially more valuable). I can't eat chicken unless it's free range or organic, I hate the idea of intensively reared birds that have suffered to give us food Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
coppers Posted August 20, 2012 Share Posted August 20, 2012 I also only buy and eat free range meat. (I have a veggie meal when I eat out if I cannot get free range meat.) I appreciate that I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it. JImmy Doherty did a few tv programmes where he tried to create products using free range meat that were affordable to the general public. He wanted to make a cheap chicken kiev using free range meat. For 'his' chicken kiev he used meat from ex free range laying hens that were being disposed of after their first year of laying.(Half of this meat is currently exported to Africa and China). It was cheap to obtain and he used the breast meat only. He used it to make a free range chicken kiev that would sell at a similar price to the kievs made with the usual intensively reared birds. Hen meat is not normally used for chicken products. After trials etc Tesco are stocking his kievs now and they are selling well apparently... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...